Best time to plant wildflower seed?...

bjacket(zone 6 Mid Tn)August 20, 2005

I am in Putnam County (upper Cumberland plateau) and am preparing a site in my backyard to plant wildflowers. I have researched this project for quite some time and finally decided to take the plunge. The site is about 10,000 square feet. There are 2 questions I am struggling with...is it better to plant seed in the fall or spring.For this area the information suggests either will work. One concern I have about the fall planting is that the area is sloped and I am concerned about losing seed to erosion or wash. I thought about a light mulch after rolling the seed bed but mulch seems to be discouraged.

My other question is...I have never done business with any of the seed companies that I have found on my internet searches. Can anyone recommend a reputable company or website (or even a particular mix or blend). I will not be using the generic "seed in a can" mixtures sold at local retailers. I would also prefer doing business with a local company if possible.The ideal mix for this application would be a mixture of plants that tend to grow to a lower height overall.

I have never posted here before but would really appreciate any ideas/suggestions/comments that you may have. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rizzir(z7b TN)

I saw a great little segment on Rebecca's Garden regarding the sowing of native wildflowers. They said to make "mud balls". I couldn't find the segment description on the Internet, but I did find this great How-To document on how to make wildflower seed mud balls:

http://www.wildflower.org/?nd=articles_grd&view=full&key=15

Bookmark   August 20, 2005 at 4:03PM
maternut(7 west tn)

I would (just a guess ) think planting in spring. Less loss
of your seed. Better chance of germination. On the other
hand mother nature sows in the fall.
Norman

Bookmark   August 21, 2005 at 10:32AM
rizzir(z7b TN)

The mud balls website says to throw them in fall and they will gently break down over winter, covering the seeds naturally and creating the perfect growing environment for the seeds. Also, the mud ball method discourages birds from eating the seeds as they can't really get to them.

Finally, many wildflower seeds actually need the freeze and thaw of winter to deteriorate their tough seed coats so they can properly germinate in early spring.

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 3:58PM
rader_ranch(7)

i had good luck with these guys, but please keep in mind i've only done 'wild' seeds once....

http://www.wildseedfarms.com/

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
Composting Leaves
I have a huge pile of leaves, trying to speed up composting...
maternut
NE Tennessee problems
So I moved from way out in the country to near Downtown...
Chris Cousineau
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™