ivy topiary/indoor/potted/care????

brendasw(z6 NJ/NYC)November 19, 2002

Hi,

I just purchased two ivy topiaries for my bay window. I was told at store to keep them moist and make sure they get as much light as possible. Is there anything else I need to know? HElp...advice...I don't have a green thumb and I want to make sure they do well!

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
big_john(z6b LI NY)

Rotate pots weekly to keep topes' growth symmetrical.
if you feel the need to feed use even numbered fertilizer.
Labels on foods show three numbers that comprise elements for different growth. You want balanced formula.
Apply food at half strength. Otherwise during the fall/winter months I usually forgoe the treats, and water when slightly dry.
Moist really means lightly damp.
If you keep plants constantly wet they will develop root rot over winter.
Also likely to attract and raise healthy flock of fungus gnats. Yes...they are as bad as they sound.
As far as training you have options. If frame is 'light' in vines you can let some trailers grow long enought to weave back into frame. If the frame is pleasingly plump with foliage just nip tips when they reach outside the box to hold shape.
Beware drastic pruning. Better to putter and inspect plants for browning/yellowing leaves every couple days. This will cut down on possible problems from getting out of hand.
Prevention is the best medicine.

bj

Bookmark   November 25, 2002 at 1:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gw:gardener-gretchen

My hedra ivy was in a hanging basket outside. For a week it received 100 degree heat while I was out of town. It looks cooked! What should I do? Should I prune all the woody stems? Can Ivy grow on old wood?

Bookmark   July 19, 2006 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
what can I use for a Minnesota hardy evergreen topiary in pots
I'd like to have 2 topiaries flank my front porch pillars...
Ameliak
New to topiary
I'm interested in growing a topiary for a school project....
sam0
New to topiary, requesting some tips/info.
Hello, I am going to start growing my first topiary...
RainGarden
Pittosphorum needs reshaping
Hi, have around 15-20 of them, but some of them are...
nicinus
Boulevard Cypress-What will it do?
Hi all! I've just planted a Boulevard Cypress Poodle...
angieebert
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™