re-plant holly - or not? (planted low in ground)

ralph_d(6b)August 25, 2012

I had several 5' tall, potted Oak Leaf Hollies planted last fall. I believe trees should be planted with the top of roots/root flare just above ground level, but these were planted even with ground level. One of the trees has settled almost an inch deeper into the ground. I am thinking about digging out the tree, tamping dirt in the hole and replanting. Since the tree looks great, I might be doing more harm by replanting. As a compromise, I thought I could use my hands and a hose to pull away dirt away from the high grade side of the trunk. If the tree is doing fine after almost a year, should I just let it be? Thanks for any guidance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Factors like how well your soil drains and what the potential for further settlement is, probably need to be factored into your decision, but, without further info that you have provided so far, my gut feeling is to leave them. An inch isn't all that much with reasonable well draining soil. And, moving them now means significant root loss and set-back for your hollies. If they've started adapting well to their conditions and you don't see further sinkage as likely, just leave them alone.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
Evergreen trees with large leaves
I'm seeing them all around and wonder what they are?...
ryseryse_2004
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
Japanese Beetle traps & Milky Spore?
I think I read a post on one of the rose forums where...
krikit
Japanese Maple Autumn Moon
I would like to know if anyone knows of a nursery in...
alan_ill
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™