to topiary or not to topiary? that is the question!

asturnut(4b- Alaska)November 2, 2001

Helloooo!

This is my first time in this particular forum. Thought maybe you folks could help me out or point me in the right direction. GW has so many forums, sometimes it's hard to know where to post your question! (I also posted this ? in the 'garden junk' forum.)

I recently found some old rusty, iron heart-backed ice-cream parlor chairs out on the trash. I thought they would look really fantastic nestled in my garden somewhere, with plants trained to follow the outlines of the heart shapes. Was wondering if anyone could recommend plants that might be suitable for growing on iron in a morning sun/afternoon light-shade situation. I was thinking 'plain old' ivy would do nicely, but I wondered if there were any alternatives, or specific suggetions for a type of ivy for my situation.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jackiew(z5OH)

I'm sorry I can't recommend an ivy, other than to say that a small-leaved variety would look best. The heart-shaped backs will soon be overgrown, though (since they are not filled in, I am assuming that you want to trace the outline only) and you may find it a terrible amount of work to keep this looking the way you want. Consider a boxwood planted at the back of the seat. Take 2-6 leaders to trace the heart and maybe trim the rest to look like a throw pillow or bolster. You could fill in the entire seat with a moss, chamomile, thyme, or a trailing plant. Sounds like it might be cute.

Bookmark   November 20, 2001 at 12:12PM
Ankrara

I am thinking that the dark green leaves, deep pink very fragrant flowers
of Jasminum officinale would be a nice choice when you are out enjoying.
Plus the smell is heavenly.
Supannee

Bookmark   November 21, 2001 at 1:24PM
Chutz(Z8/WA)

I was tickled to see your post. I did this with an old ice cream chair a couple of years ago. Removed the seat and used some chicken wire to make a 'bowl' in it's place. Lined the seat with moss, filled with potting mix and planted. I used a small leaf, varietaged ivy and added annuals for instant color. It's nestled under a family heritage maple and looks bright in an otherwise shady spot.

Bookmark   January 1, 2002 at 11:54PM
Cytania(UK Midlands)

Here in Europe topiary tables, chairs and patio umbrellas are being comercially produced. The plant of choice seems to be Ligustrum.

Bookmark   November 2, 2002 at 10:11AM
Jacque_E_TX(Z 8a N Cent TX)

Light annual vines might give your chair a boost - like Morning Glories? You could train one or two to climb around the wires.

Bookmark   January 6, 2003 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
Pittosphorum needs reshaping
Hi, have around 15-20 of them, but some of them are...
nicinus
Where can I purchase a full grown topiary
Hi. I'm looking to buy a full grown topiary, preferably...
ehon
Where can I buy a myrtle topiary?
I would really like to buy myrtle topiaries online...
Brian
New to topiary, requesting some tips/info.
Hello, I am going to start growing my first topiary...
RainGarden
Arborsculpture
Not exactly topiary, but close enough. I've been thinking...
thatadeniumguy
Sponsored Products
Cubitec Doors or Backs (Set of 2)
Design Within Reach
Forever Green Art Preserved Ball Cone Topiary In 40
Beyond Stores
Personalized Oval Cutting Board with Name or Phrase - 24"
$195.00 | FRONTGATE
Tampa Bay Rays Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Bend Seating | The Farmhouse Lounge Chair
YLiving.com
AICO Furniture - Windsor Court Gentleman's Chest in Vintage...
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™