Fall plantings-question to the experts.

utdeedee(7A-East Tennessee)August 13, 2007

Question:

With this hot weather we're having, should I wait to plant fall greens and cabbage family veggies or follow the fall plant guides?

Dee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dvowell026

I'm not sure what to do on fall plantings yet either. I'm going to go ahead in my main garden and put out some early stuff and see how it goes. I'm going to put out carrot seed, onion seed and probably cabbage. Thinking that maybe we will cool off just enough by the time they germinate they might survive. I love greens but I think I'll hold off till first of next week. They really don't like hot temperatures at all from my experience. Even if they are put in shady areas and pampered, heat affects the taste. Fortunately by this year I have alot of room for both standard and raised beds, so I'm going to plant different areas over the next month and hope for the best.

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 9:09PM
atokadawn(7)

I am doing my root veggies in the shade next week.Lots of water in the evening by son--in-law.

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 12:31PM
maternut(7 west tn)

My greens are up and ready to eat. They may be pre cooked in the garden. Just wash and serve. Took lots of water to get them where they are today. Thank goodness for a good well.
Norm

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 7:18PM
utdeedee(7A-East Tennessee)

I planted mine Sunday. We'll see what happens. Hoping for lettuce, mustard and kale......by the sounds of yours I should have went ahead and planted mine. What type of greens did you plant?

Bookmark   August 28, 2007 at 9:14AM
maternut(7 west tn)

I have turnips and mustard, The store didn't have kale seed this year for some reason.

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 10:16PM
utdeedee(7A-East Tennessee)

My lettuce and greens are coming up really good.. Looking forward to having some in a few weeks. Glad to see it cool off a bit and even a little bit of ran, which has helped the tomatoes and peas and squash.

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Japanese Beetle traps & Milky Spore?
I think I read a post on one of the rose forums where...
krikit
mtps
Don't miss The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap this Saturday!!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/64785223352/ http://www.midtnplantswap.com/...
bigorangevol
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
Spigelia Marilandica??? Anybody?
I got an email from a friend of one of our MTPS-ers...
bigorangevol
Grading/Leveling recommendations
We're looking to grade and landscape our backyard,...
elsten
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™