Garden Photography

bradmm(8b)April 18, 2005

My Italy trip has been rescheduled to next summer so I have some time to plan. One thing that I've been wondering about is how to approach the urge I know I'm going to have to incessantly take pictures! I don't know yet where all we'll be going but I know that most will have been photographed a gazillion times and one more shot but one more tourist often seems a little pointless. Still, I do it. I don't have a digital camera but I could get one. I'll need to take closeups as well as panoramas. I can do that with my SLR but hate the idea of dragging all that stuff around. I like to travel light.

Hmmmmm, any thoughts? Stick to postcards :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_Ann(5)

I'd want the pictures for memories... but I'm with you on traveling light. A digital camera might be just what you need. You can get some nice closeups with some of them, plus the wider angle shots, and they're smaller and lighter than an SLR -- go to a good camera shop to do some comparison and talk to folks who can help you figure out exactly what you want. You'll want some extra memory cards so you can snap as often as you want but the memory cards are very small and light so not an issue to carry around. I do the postcard thing, too, just for fun -- the photos are often better than what I can get -- but nothing replaces the photos you can take. Besides, the postcards are going to be of the tourist stuff, and some of the best things you'll see in Italy are scenes that you come across without expecting them. We're going to Tuscany next April and at least one camera is going with us, even if it means sacrificing a pair of shoes or something :)

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 3:02PM
bradmm(8b)

"and at least one camera is going with us, even if it means sacrificing a pair of shoes or something :)"

ABSOLUTELY! Can't go to Italy without a CAMERA!!!

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 3:50PM
crocosmia_mn(z4)

Because we are often taking photos in places where we can't recharge a camera's batteries and wanted a small digital camera, we bought a Pentax Optio43WR. It's 3 inches square and an inch thick. Check it out!

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 3:03PM
nmnative(7 NM)

This dilemna is the very reason I love my digital. I got a Fugifilm S3000 and am having a ball taking all the photos I want. One fun thing about digital is you can print the few shots you want but save them all to a DVD to watch on your tv. I think I would snap away in Italy if I was going. I bought a large memory chip for my camera and couldn't fill it up on my last trip to a quilt show. You might consider buying the largest one to take to Italy though. With a digital you can edit out the bad shots and often retouch any where the light is not perfect. Enjoy!

Bookmark   May 2, 2005 at 3:53PM
Peter60(Yorkshire UK)

Here on my website are just a few places to visit in England. Mainly in Yorkshire.

Peter.

Gardens to Visit

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
Help Where to go in Sacramento/SF/whole area. Around?
Hi I am a Minnesota Gardener who will be flying into...
rosebacopa2
Traveling over holiday times
Is it a really dumb idea to travel during, for instance,...
rob333
Botanical trip to Brazil in 2011
Hello, in the time between Chrismas and Easter 2011...
sonnenkind
Botanical Gardens in Arizona?
Hello Garden Web!! I'm thinking about doing a little...
claire44
Traveling with pets
Hey.. Me and my family make a trip for 10 days..We...
rock70
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™