Trip to eastern USA

BraeNZ(Northland New Z)April 18, 2008

Hi all

Thank you for your help - this is what we have planned to date - would appreciate any other ideas.

While in New Jersey, visit Longwood Gardens?

Tuesday, 26/08/2008 - Philadelphia to Cape May visiting Leamings Run Gardens, Higbees Beach for seabirds, Nature Center of Cape May, Cape May lighthouse. Stay at the Inn of Cape May (historic)?

Wednesday, 27/08/2008 - Cape May to visiting Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge, Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge (different wildlife at each?) and Chincoteague Island. Stay B&B Chincoteague

Thursday, 28/08/2008 - In Chincoteague, then Eastern Shore of Virginia National Wildlife Refuge, to Williamsburg, stay Williamsburg

Friday, 29/08/2008 - Williamsburg to Charlottesville visiting wineries, stay Dinsmore House?

Saturday, 30/08/2008 Â Charlottesville, visit friends, then to Charlotte visiting Mt Rogers National Recreation Area. Visit Daniel Stowe Gardens.

Sunday, 31/08/2008 - Charlotte via Congaree National Park to Savannah

Monday, 1/09/2008, Labor Day - Savannah via Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge to somewhere west of Jacksonville, north of Gainesville.

Tuesday, 2/09/2008 Â Florida visiting butterfly farms

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginny12

It looks as if you are really interested in natural history rather than gardens--places designed as works of art using plants among other materials. There are many, many gardens in the area you are visiting but none are on your list--which is fine--it just depends on your interests--wild nature or cultivated nature.

Longwood Gardens is a beautiful series of gardens. Check out their website to see if it is for you. It's in Pennsylvania, south of Philadelphia. There are many truly beautiful gardens in the Philadelphia area.

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 5:28PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

I love Ladew Topiary Gardens in Monkton Maryland, tho I haven't been there for several years. Here is a link to check out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladews Topiary Garden in Maryland

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 11:03AM
BraeNZ(Northland New Z)

Awesome, thanks for this Concretenprimroses, will heck this out.

Jacqui

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 3:55AM
BraeNZ(Northland New Z)

Hi Ginny

>> It looks as if you are really interested in natural history rather than gardens--places designed as works of art using plants among other materials. There are many, many gardens in the area you are visiting but none are on your list--which is fine--it just depends on your interests--wild nature or cultivated nature. Both. All. Any ideas welcome. We are particularly interested in butterflies in the wild, so I guess natural heritage is really top of the list.

Mary who will be travellign with me loves orchirds and sub-tropicals too.

Jacqui

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 4:01AM
crocosmia_mn(z4)

My favorite East Coast garden is Chanticleer outside of Philadelphia. Check out their website.

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
Flowers bloom in late summer
Flowers that bloom in late summer, as well as a few...
flowerstore
Backpacking through Central America
New to this site. 63, recently retired, not super strong...
steve2416
This One is on My Places to Visit List
I have not yet visited this garden but hope to do so...
la_kitty
Best state for an English cottage garden?
Hello to all. It has been a while since I've posted....
zone8heather
plants in Peru
Dear friends, Let me give you some special information. I...
Miguel Flores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™