Trying dwarf meyers and dwarf Clementine...

HeiditttttttAugust 21, 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm a relocated Californian and I miss my citrus trees SO much! I finally decided to order these 2 dwarf trees and pot them. THey're in the full sun on my patio now and seem to be doing well. They came with bare roots, so I bought cactus, palm and citrus potting soil since I read they need good drainage.

I'm a little worried about how they'll do over the winter. I'll bring them in the house if we drop below 32 degrees, but is that necessary?

Also, what/where should I get fertilizer for them? Should I fertilize now that it's August? I read that we should not fertilize after August 1st.

Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome. I'm used to living in what used to be orange and lemon groves in Southern California. We just stick citrus trees in the ground and water once a week there and the fruit is delicious! This is quite different in Tennessee!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heidittttttt

This is how my trees arrived. They were bare rooted and healthy. From a California grower.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:51PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I'd ask this question in the Citrus Forum. I'll bet they could give you more informed answers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Forum

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 10:36PM
bigorangevol(Nashville)

Heidi, it's funny how the temps from Rancho Santa Margarita to Escondido and down to Coronado can be so similar to middle Tn - from Ojai to LA, not so much. The humidity and frost are the killers here!
My best friend is in Lewisburg and he grows lemon, pineapple, orange and all kinds of stuff native to SoCal. I wish I could get him to grow avocado but he hates it. The trick is bringing them inside once the frost warning comes out.

As always, everyone is welcome on our Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/64785223352/

Jeff

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 3:19AM
myrtleoak(z7 TN)

IT has always been my understanding that lemons and oranges can handle temps into the mid 20's. I know of several citrus species grown in south Louisiana where hard freezes are not uncommon.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 3:35AM
More Discussions
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
Any chicken coop experts?
We have what I thought was a well-built chicken coop....
fraziertoo
Growing Grapes in Tennessee
In hopes of getting some conversation going in our...
brandon7 TN_zone
NE Tennessee problems
So I moved from way out in the country to near Downtown...
chriscousineau522
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™