Flying with plants....

urbangreenthumbJuly 15, 2007

I'm living in Korea right now and will be moving in a couple years. I really want to take a few of my prized plants with me back home. Is there anyway to have them shipped overseas or otherwise take them on the plane?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcindy(z5b, Indianapolis, IN)

It is possible, but it is a long and expensive process. Any plants shipped from oversees to the US has to go through a USDA inspection and quarantine process, depending on where you ship it from. It would be best to contact USDA well ahead of your travel time and enquire about the regulations, requirements, procedures and costs to give you a better sense. Please, don't try to somehow bypass the process, because you will get caught, all your plants will be destroyed and you could face a hefty fine and/or jail time. Not to mention the danger that comes from inadvertently introducing new pests, weeds or diseases and bugs to North America.
Hope that helps. And good luck!

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 10:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macthayer(z9a NV)

I did all of the above, taking with me a list of plants not allowed to be brought into the US when I went to a Gardening Course in England. They also had the list. It was at Great Dixter Gardens, and they were very familiar with sending people back with plants as they had been doing this course for years. Anyway, I bought my plants - sans dirt - you cannot bring in any form of dirt so you'll have to take cuttings -- and flew into the US WITH all the proper forms and inspection paperwork already made out. It didn't seem to matter. They held me up for 14 hours (I missed my plane, had to stay overnight) until a "special inspector" arrived, and by the time he finished, he'd thrown out half my plants! Boy were those expensive plants! So I'd say, find out what kind of plants you have, sell them for good money, and replace them when you get to the US, because it isn't worth the hassle of getting them into the US. Anyway, It's an opinion.
MacThayer

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 12:34AM
More Discussions
Backpacking through Central America
New to this site. 63, recently retired, not super strong...
steve2416
Traveling over holiday times
Is it a really dumb idea to travel during, for instance,...
rob333
Traveling with pets
Hey.. Me and my family make a trip for 10 days..We...
rock70
Urban Camping: Angel Island, San Francisco CA
I laughed out loud reading this article! I donÂt know...
jkom51
Botanical trip to Brazil in 2011
Hello, in the time between Chrismas and Easter 2011...
sonnenkind
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™