Umbrella plant in distress

mrsfournier(4)February 13, 2005

I live in Alaska. It was probably 35 degrees today.

I went to rescue a 6 foot umbrella plant that a woman was going to take to the dump because she had just purchased her house and wanted it out of her atrium, go figure. Needless to say the longer part of the top of the plant was hanging out of my truck.

I only had to drive about 3 miles or so. The roots and the pot never got cold as it was in the truck and I wrapped the pot. It looks in distress and I am not sure what to do. I put a space heater close to the pot and waited until it was warm to water it. She had allowed it to get very dry, maybe hoping it would die who knows. Have I done everything right and what else can I do?

Thank you

Tami in Alaska

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicallvr(11)

By "umbrella plant" to you mean Papyrus? The stuff that grows along the Nile river.If it is, it should come back from the roots even if the top dies.
I learned my lesson about hauling plants in the back of a pickup when the wind pretty much shreded the leaves of my bamboo, but it sounds like yours got shocked from being inside(warm) to getting wind whipped by cold air.
good luck!

Bookmark   February 13, 2005 at 12:33AM
More Discussions
Russelia equisetifomis as annual in the north
Hi folks. Always good to pretty much sum up your whole...
wisconsitom
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
Something is eating my philodendron leaves
I have an outdoor philodendron which is emerging from...
jimmybo
Bird of Paradise (yellow/Orange) HELP!!
so I have had this plant for like 6 months bought it...
BBrown258
What is wrong with my bougainvillea?
This is located in Southern Florida. The location is...
kmkjimbo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™