Ct gardner

watboyFebruary 26, 2009

Hello all. Well it's about that time again when we start planning our gardens. I have a question that I seem to ask every year because I forget and I lost my journal from last year when my laptop crashed. What would be a good time to start my tomato seedlings and a good time plant out my carrots? I'm getting excited for my BLTs already oh boy do I have a ways to go!I hope you all had a good winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daylilyfanatic4(Zone 6 SE NY)

hi, It depends were you live. here in SE NY our last frost date is may15 so countback 8 weeks and that puts the tomato seeding date at around march 20th. as for carrots direct seed them as soon as the soil has warmed above 47*or so

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 1:26PM
cleo88(6 / MA)

I am in MA Zone 6, so probably right to your north. I am planning on planting out May 16, so I am starting a small number of tomatoes 9 weeks out (March 14) and the marjority of them 6 weeks out. I'm sort of running an experiment to see if the ones I start earlier turn out better or worse than the later ones. But I agree with daylily - March 20 is probably a great date to start tomatoes for around here.

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 3:36PM
jtcm05(Zone 6 CT)

6 to 8 weeks before Memorial Day

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 6:46PM
watboy

thanks all. i knew it was roughly around those dates i had to make sure you only get one chance in these parts

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 10:48AM
John11840(z6/CT)

I live in southern CT (12 mi. north of the sound). I usually plant sometime between May 15 and Memorial Day, depending on the weather. I have found that if I start my seeds before April 1, the plants get too leggy before plant out time.

John A

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Tomatoes that did not want to quit
Anecdotal experience from last year- Maya and Sion...
sheltieche
Is it worth planting, Azoychka Russian?
I ordered seeds last year and the seller included a...
nhardy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™