Boarders or Hedging for a Tropical Garden/Pool Look

gidgetpdxMarch 28, 2007

Hi, I am in Redding California and we are making our fenced pool area tropical.

The biggest problem I have having is finding a boarder/hedge to go around the fence to add privacy. I need a evergreen, minimal mess plant that will grow around 6 to 8 inches tall. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Gidgetpdx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
venturan

How much privacy are ya gonna get from a hedge that is 6-8 inches tall? Are your neighbors really that short? Besides, anything that small shouldn't make too much of a mess.
;)

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 11:37PM
gidgetpdx

LOL... It is more that if a neighbor is looking over there fence into our backyard alll they will see is a border. We have 2 fences... One that is on our property border and another that is around our pool. It is the pool fence we are looking to enclose and give more of a tropical feel to. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 11:42PM
shiollie(z5 MI)

Try planting some clumping bamboo, it grows fast and will give you the heigth that you would need. make sure it is a clumping type tho, otherwise it will take over your yard.

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 9:21AM
sputnikfarm

I have created a screen hedge using Alpinia zerumbet 'Variegata' and Blue Java Bananas, but it took 2 growing seasons to reach 7 foot. The bananas are excellent! You might also try Podocarpus macrophyllus. They grow dense and can be kept shapely with a twice a year hard prune. They do drop some leaves, but not a hardship. On my back wall I am trying to grow a hedge screen with Strawberry Guava (Psidium cattleianum). Three years ago I Planted 2 six foot apart, they are now over 8 feet tall, but are not filling in very well, maybe by next year, and the fruit is messy if you don't pick it in time, but tasty. I also have a nice screen from a Tecoma Stans Alata 'orange bells" that I have trained to a fence. It drops some spent flowers but is very attractive and always gets commented on.

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
Needle palm protection in zone 6
I will post a pic of the palm in a day or 2. I am hoping...
poaky1
jubaea chilensis
Hi all. This is my first posting on this site and I'm...
palmvirgin
European fan palm early death
I bought 2 earopean fan palms in April or early May,...
poaky1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™