Question About Lopsided Sabal Minor in Pot

KendraSchmidtMarch 27, 2012

I recently acquired a Sabal Minor and I would like to plant it outside in the ground soon (zone 8) but I'm worried about the plant a bit, as I've noticed that in the pot that it's in now, it looks a bit lopsided. It's tilted to the left.

Also, in the middle of the pot, there seems to be a hard mound that I've tapped a bit with a finger and it seems very hard and doesn't absorb water as well as the soil along the perimeter of the pot. Does anyone know why this is? I'm too afraid to scrape that spot to see what's under it. I don't want to damage the plant. :o(

Since the plant is lopsided in the pot, how can I plant it to make sure that the trunk and the fronds themselves are straight? I don't want it to be lopsided in the ground. Especially if I'm lucky enough to have one that will grow a tiny trunk. Also, when is the best time to plant this Sabal Minor outside? Please help and thanks GW!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KendraSchmidt

Anyone? :o(

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 6:01PM
Venni

I am not a palm expert, only a beginner - however I have read that prior to transplanting a potbound palm, you may, and sometimes should, completely rinse the rootball of soil. In this case, that may be the best idea in order to ensure that you are planting the palm in the most perpendicular orientation to the ground. I believe the 'hard' area you are describing would be the root-initiation zone of the sabal palm. So basically, a woody substructure of the trunk.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of FL - Palm Oddities

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 5:23PM
KendraSchmidt

Thank you so much Venni for that info! That was very helpful and thanks for the link!

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 8:34PM
steve_nj(7-a)

I never rinse soil from a palm's roots. Sabal minor does much better when planted with undisturbed roots. Plant a bit deeper than it is in the container and so the foliage is not tilted.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
European fan palm early death
I bought 2 earopean fan palms in April or early May,...
poaky1
Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1
The bigger Musa are in there 2nd year in my yard and...
poaky1
Tropical vine for part shade?
Hi all, I am looking for suggestions for a tropical...
ravensfan52
Crossandra, anyone?
This subforum is a pretty quiet place it seems. Nevertheless,...
wisconsitom
Needle palm protection in zone 6
I will post a pic of the palm in a day or 2. I am hoping...
poaky1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™