shipping cuttings overseas? possible?

cloudyiqOctober 26, 2007

hi im new to this site and have a few questions. i am not really sure if this is the right forum but the site is a little intimidating.

i love my houseplants and am hoping to have a few cuttings from them sent to me when i head out to iraq. is that possible? i just want maybe a couple of ivy's or spiderplants. lowlight and easy to manage. i just want a little something from home. and they should be okay to grow in water so i dont have to worry about shipping soil. im not really sure what type of soil is over there.

anyhoo, if anyone has any ideas. they would be greatly appreciated.

cq

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Probably the first thing to check is what, if any restrictions there on bringing in plant parts at the other end of the trip.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 1:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macthayer(z9a NV)

Having done the international route with clippings, I can tell you that there are lists and lists of things that cannot be taken into or out of various countries. If you MUST have something from home, find a grower with an international license who can provide you with all of the international paperwork to get you through customs. Even with that, be prepared to be held up, subjected to intense search, and have half your cuttings thrown out. I hate to say it, but it really would be easier just to buy a plant once you get there.
MacThayer

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
New Zealand tour, hiking and gardening
My DH and I plan a hiking vacation in New Zealand next...
Paula_sfbay
Traveling by plane with plants/seedlings
Hey everyone! I'm a novice gardener who's going to...
Noteybook
Posting photos
Can someone please tell me how to post more then one...
gardencraze
suggestions for Japan trip
Greetings, I have 4 days on my own in Tokyo before...
Juliana63
Italy
I will be going to Italy in two weeks. What gardens...
jenniew
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™