How to garden tropicalesque-style in Lexington, KY

AustinGarden(6B)March 3, 2013

Hello there,

Well, I have to have a normal-sized neighborhood backyard. With no pool, and I was wondering, how can I make it look tropical? I've got a lot of money to spend on it, since I will be buying a much smaller house than I have now. (2,500 sq. ft.). My new house should be 1,300 sq. ft- 2,000 sq. ft. So I have a lot of money to spend on it. I would spend AT MAX, 5k on it. So, how can I create that tropical look? Name some plants, maybe a pond? Please help!

~Kyle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vent1962(6)

Hello Kyle,

Lucky you having that much $$ to begin, that is awesome!! I can tell you from my experience that after putting in a koi pond/watergarden just two years ago, I have gone head over heels for it. So much so, that in just a few weeks, I am going to make the koi pond bigger and add many more tropicals to it. I cant get enough, and I think you will know what I mean after you get going. It is addicting. I highly recommend doing the koi pond but do it big enough from the get go! Surround it with as many tropicals as you can. You may have to do a little extra work in the fall and spring like I do since we arent exactly in a tropical zone, but believe me, it is worth it. I am going to be doing a lot of soiless planting which in turn keeps dirt out of the water (a big plus) and also keeps the water clear because the roots act as a filter to the water. Oh, I could go on forever........ Anyway, some plants I highly recommed is Dwarf Giant Papyrus, Canna's (many varietys, but definetly recommend the bengal tiger), Elephant Ear and Angel's Trumpet. Searching this site is a great place to start because it is chocked full of information.
Good luck with your ventures!

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 11:54AM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Buy this book and you'll get a ton of ideas (and you'll still have $4,979 left in your garden budget).

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 7:17PM
miketropic

if your moving to lexington your going to have alot of competition..lot of rich people there who spend an enormous amount on plants. i go there to a greenhouse called "pembertons" for alot of tropicals in that area.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1
The bigger Musa are in there 2nd year in my yard and...
poaky1
End of the season!
Winter came a little early this year! In past years...
JohnnieB
Crossandra, anyone?
This subforum is a pretty quiet place it seems. Nevertheless,...
wisconsitom
Russelia equisetifomis as annual in the north
Hi folks. Always good to pretty much sum up your whole...
wisconsitom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™