DC Area Source for Hardy Palms

the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)March 3, 2006

There is a Nursery in Ashburn, VA on Rt 7 that has a few Trachycarpus Fortunei aka: Windmill Palms available. I grabbed 5 of them and about 4 are left. The nursery is called Blue Mount Nursery. The owner tolfd me he was getting some needle palms sent in soon as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Enabler! Now I'll have to go down there.

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 11:11AM
the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)

Try to talk to the owner, his name is Frank and is catching the cold hardy palm/tropical bug. Right now they only have 2 of the very large Trachycarpus Fortuneis, but they will be getting some 5 and 15 gallon Needle palms in the next few weeks. Try to leave one or two for me if you get there first. The employees may be clueless, but Frank will know about the palms. Here is the address and phone number:

Blue Mount Nursery
19412 Smith Circle
Ashburn, VA 20147
(703) 729-6600

I would check in early May to see if they are in yet. The smaller Trachys I got from him all made it in the ground this year.

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 1:25PM
summeronmymind(7)

While this is not the DC area, you still might want a road trip when you see this website: http://garysnursery.homestead.com
I haven't been, but it looks like my kind of place. Talk about palms!!

Bookmark   April 23, 2006 at 7:59PM
paul_tropics

just an fyi ....... I have purchased several large 15 gallon Needle Palms over the past few years ( they will ship up to 25 gallons ) via "mail order" from TyTy Nursery, they have been very hardy and have exploded ( as far as a needle palm is able ) since I planted them ... no bud rot and I do no winter protection ... 2 are in partial shade,Northside of my home ... fat trunks with multi branching occuring, I trim one of them up each year to look some what like a Med.,Fan Palm ( one dominate trunk and 4 surrounding trunks.)

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 8:50PM

My experince with TyTy has been less than positive and several of their palms died whereas PDN's have been healthier.

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 11:28PM
paul_tropics

I have heard that allot about them ..... and have experienced the same issue with several other items but the Needle Palms have always been consistent for me from TyTy .... my sabal minor dwarf castors arrived today from PDN ... small but very nice, I'm going to mix them in around some cactus and yucca trees .......

Bookmark   April 26, 2006 at 8:43PM

Another fgood source is a place on Route 1 in Alexandria, VA called Holly, Woods and Vine. They have a good selection of cold hardy palms and bananas.

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
Cordyline Australis as a cheap, fast and easy palm
The Northern tropicalesque gardener has a dilemma,...
snowbanana
Coconut trees in California?
IS anyone growing these or know of any growing there?...
haycarumba99
California transplant (me!) wants the tropics
Hi all! As per the subject, I'm a Californian and I...
Heidittttttt
End of Summer in Stamford Connecticut
My garden in CT , zone 6. on a rocky, dry hillside...
michaelzz
Pic of gigantic outdoor ensete bananas, zone 4
This year has been awesome! With lots of heat, water...
arctictropical
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™