Kentucky to Utah: late Oct early Nov

viburnumvalley(z5/6 KY)October 7, 2004

I'll be making my own voyage of discovery across the plains this fall. I've never covered this ground past the middle of Missouri. I've nothing set in stone, other than a conference in Salt Lake City in the middle of two weeks.

Who has some "do not miss" ideas for the corridor (probably roughly between I-70 and I-80, though I'm not married only to that) for this time period of Oct. 23 to Nov. 7? As a landscape architect and horticulturist, most any landscape (designed or not) that includes plants carries interest. Also, great food/adult beverage/culture/history grab my attention as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zoohortmmm(USDA 4, CO)

You may want to check the web page of the American Association of Botanical Gardens & Arboreta to locate their various member gardens along the way. Several that immediately come to mind are The Des Moines Botanical Center in Iowa, the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis, Denver Botanical Gardens, Botanica in Wichita, KS, and Myriad Gardens in downtown Okalahoma City. Of course, there are numerous other options as you will see from their web site at: www.aabga.org

If you go through Denver be sure and check the restaurants in "Lo Do" (Lower Downtown) as the options are numerous and the scene is lively. The Fort restaurant in Morrison, CO has a wonderful western ambiance though a bit on the pricey side.

I hope, if you're driving, you have a 4-wheel drive vehicle for that stretch of I-70 that goes over the continental divide at Loveland Pass. The weather can be very unpredictable at the time of year you are traveling that way. Be sure and check local weather reports before starting out west of Denver.

Have a great trip.

Bookmark   October 15, 2004 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
Hippeastrum species
Perhaps I have a very cheeky question, but I'll try...
ton2
San Diego gardens and lodging?
Hi, I am planning a winter trip to San Diego! Any suggestions...
tarilyns
1 photo: Monterey CA protea
Even here in coastal Northern CA, we do get frost days...
jkom51
Italy
I will be going to Italy in two weeks. What gardens...
jenniew
Botanical trip to Brazil in 2011
Hello, in the time between Chrismas and Easter 2011...
sonnenkind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™