When to Uncover Basjoo Banana's?

pcanMarch 13, 2012

This is my first spring with Basjoo Banana trees. I cut them to about 2 feet in the fall, insulated and covered them well. I am wondering when should I uncover them...? Is there a minimum night time temp I should wait for?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

just my 2 cents but anytime above freezing for Basjoo should be just fine. i cut mine down to the ground level last fall and covered them with just leaf litter. They saw many nights below freezing and a few times in the 20's. I just uncovered them the other day and they are pushing out from the middle.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 5:34PM
pcan

Yesterday I decided to uncover them and see what was there. I decided to take pictures of the process so I started by a taking a picture of the cover in tact. Then I gently removed the cages and vwallaa! No tree! LOL You should have seen the look on my face... I was sure I had done everything right and no banana tree... It was like they were abducted by aliens over the winter.

I will just let them die back to the ground and mulch heavily going foward.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 10:36AM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

I left mine uncovered all winter (a mild one where the low temp was 9F). The subsidiary trunks look green and I expect new growth in the next few weeks (the main trunk rotted back to the ground).

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 5:10PM
Springpatch77

Here's a pick of my Musa Bajoos from today. They got a good start from the warm March. I didn't even uncover them they just poked themselves out of the mulch they were covered in.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
What is wrong with my bougainvillea?
This is located in Southern Florida. The location is...
kmkjimbo
Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1
The bigger Musa are in there 2nd year in my yard and...
poaky1
Passionflower in Washington?
Hi guys, do any of you have experience growing passionflowers...
Brandon_the_Random
Bird of Paradise (yellow/Orange) HELP!!
so I have had this plant for like 6 months bought it...
BBrown258
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™