artichokes

tcahalan(z6 TN)September 27, 2010

Me again - I was wondering - Is anyone growing artichokes in Middle Tennessee? I'm thinking of trying them next year, and was curious how successful I might be. I don't know alot about them, but I understand that 'Imperial Star' is a variety that should set buds the first year, even if they don't end up being hardy for me. And 'Northern Star' is a variety that is more cold-weather hardy. I'm planning on placing them up against the south-west side of my house, so maybe they could survive our winters? I am in Franklin, south of Nashville. Also, any recommendations on sources for starts? thanks! Tina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I think you have all the facts exactly correct, and I think, with the right conditions, the chances of some of the cold-hardier cultivars surviving your winters and doing well is very very good. One thing I'd add is to be sure to give them good drainage. Maybe plant them in a slightly raised bed if you don't have really good drainage.

There are many sources for mail-ordering artichoke seeds (most vegetable seed catalogs). I've seen the plants offered, but I'm not sure where right off the top of my head.

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 12:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goki227

I'm in Nashville and starting artichokes this year. I have them in a south-facing raised bed that is usually covered with plastic during the winter.

I was curious about how yours are doing, tcalahan.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
Is this fungus?
Please take a look at the pictures. There is something...
rhaynes
Spigelia Marilandica??? Anybody?
I got an email from a friend of one of our MTPS-ers...
bigorangevol
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™