Bird of Paradise Garden, Cuba

NEOrlandoNovember 6, 2005

www.cubacaribe.com/bird.php

Following is text of that page of site of Caribbean Medical Transport:

"This is a 20 acre, lovely garden located in a miniclimate at above 3,000 feet just beneath the peak of Gran Piedra in Santiago de Cuba. The staff is hardworking, and knowledgeable, but they have very few varieties of plant species.

We have started to send this garden seeds and botany books in Spanish. We want to send more seeds and bulbs.

If you are a gardener, and want to share what you have with gardeners in Cuba- you will understand that the cultivation of flowers is perhaps the most effective activity conducive to mental health. I personally love this project, and all gardeners will understand that the cultivation of flowering plants far transcends politics and embargoes. If you would like to learn more about this project, please email us!"

The addr is cuba@together.net

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitter_col

Wouldn't it be nice to help them reestablish native plants in their garden instead of introducing exotic species with all the attendant problems, from the U.S.?

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 9:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
serenoa(z8b, FL)

I haven't been to this garden but I have visited several in Cuba. Despite economic limitations, the Cuban botanical gardens and botanists have done a remarkable job with their native species. The Jardin Botanico Nacional in Havana has an outstanding collection of native plants and is assisting with research into Cuba's native plants. At the same time, they already have some invasive plant issues. I agree that Americans should be careful about sending exotic plants that have any invasive tendencies.

Bookmark   December 26, 2005 at 8:17AM
More Discussions
US National Arboretum Glenn Dale Azalea Hillside
The US National Arboretum attracts over 100,000 visitors...
rhodyman
Botanical trip to Brazil in 2011
Hello, in the time between Chrismas and Easter 2011...
sonnenkind
Flight phobia?
I hate to flight through plane. It is so scary to me....
rosessecretgarden
Visiting Tacoma area and looking for things to do /visit
Hello Gardening Friends out west! I am coming out your...
rosebacopa2
Traveling by plane with plants/seedlings
Hey everyone! I'm a novice gardener who's going to...
Noteybook
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™