Hawaii--Designed gardens/landscapes to visit

ginny12December 8, 2005

I'm going to Hawaii in early February. I'm hoping to see gardens, of course, but not just botanical gardens or plant collections. I'd like to see formerly private home or estate gardens now open to the public. We have lots of these on the East Coast--and elsewhere in the country. Are there any in Hawaii? Can't find any in the guidebooks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I know of a lot of public gardens in Hawaii, but none that are like what I think you are asking for (still an estate type garden). Some of the bigger gardens started out from an estate, but then grew into something entirely different.

I have thought of a possibility that might help you though...write to one of the public gardens (preferably on the particular island(s) you are visiting) and ask them for suggestions. The people at Lyon Arboretum at the University of Hawii for instance are very nice helpful people that would probably be more than happy to help if they can.

If you happen to be going to Kauai and need info on the public gardens there, feel free to e-mail me. I am pretty familiar with them. It will take you at least 2 to 3 days just to see the magnificent public gardens on that island alone.

Bookmark   December 14, 2005 at 9:13PM
ginny12

Thanks for the reply, Brandon. It looks as if this forum is not very active--too bad--a great concept. If we go to Kauai, I will follow your advice.

Bookmark   December 15, 2005 at 5:39PM
daphnexduck(Z8 Tacoma, WA)

Don't pass up the zoo in Honolulu. I went there because it was close to my hotel, and my friend wanted to visit it. The zoo has GREAT flowers. Well worth a visit! It's a shame they don't advertize it as a garden as well as a zoo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honolulu Zoo Visitor Information

Bookmark   January 2, 2006 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
Posting photos
Can someone please tell me how to post more then one...
gardencraze
Italy
I will be going to Italy in two weeks. What gardens...
jenniew
Garden Tour in East Hampton
I went on the annual garden tour in East Hampton benefiting...
jclay321
elderly traveler
I want an opinion from older person who is somewhat...
finchelover
New Zealand tour, hiking and gardening
My DH and I plan a hiking vacation in New Zealand next...
Paula_sfbay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™