Can I reuse container soil?

ladonFebruary 26, 2012

Every year I grow most of my tomatoes in the ground, but I've recently started growing some in containers. I had great success with my containers last year but the organic potting mix I used was a little expensive. Can I reuse the soil for a second year if I amend it? And if it's not good to use the container mix for a second year in the containers, can I incorporate it into my ground soil? I just would hate to get rid of it if I can still use it successfully. Also, what should I amend it with if I want to reuse it?

Thanks,

Don

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Incorporating it with ground soil is a great way to improve the ground soil and poses no problems in my opinion.

Reusing it gets mixed opinions. Some swear never! So do it all the time. So all I can tell you is that I do. I dump all the containers out onto a big tarp, spread it out in the sun with a rake to dry well, then I mix in about 1/3 new mix and some fresh pelleted fertilizers with it. After cleaning all the containers well I refill the containers and go from there. After the 3rd year the old goes into the garden and I start with new in the containers. Never had any problems with this method.

Dave

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Here is a link to several previous discussions on the question if you want to get more opinions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reuse potting soil discussions

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™