Creeping Jenny & Daylilies

junebugntn(7B)September 2, 2012

I have Creeping Jenny that is crawling not creeping! Its covering the ground all around some Daylilies. Will it eventually choke out the Daylilies?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RedBird_TN

JuneBug, I have creeping jenny in a small strip between the patio and bedded area. Mine creeps most of the time, but definitely crawls when there's been lots of rain. (In drought, it dies back quite a bit.) Mine is very easy to pull up.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 5:59PM
teri2(7B TN)

I think Creeping Jenny will eventually strangle any herbaceous plant it comes near. But, as red bird said, it's easy to pull up if you get to it regularly.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 6:16PM
junebugntn(7B)

I can pull it up quite easily...I get the feeling it may end up going before its all over. Thanks for the input.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 9:12PM
donnajo1213

My creeping Jenny is racing all over my garden. I have to pull it up every year. It is pretty, though, so I haven't gotten rid of it. If I ever disappear, I hope someone thinks to look under the creeping Jenny.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 9:28PM
bigorangevol(Nashville)

I bet you can get rid of a bunch and trade it for more daylillies at The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap!

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 3:21AM
junebugntn(7B)

We'll have finally decided to pull out the Creeping Jenny.. It was just too much in the narrow bed. Imagine I'll be working on this for a while. Did pass on some to a friend who wanted some.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 3:51PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I guess most people know this, but creeping jenny (Lysimachia nummularia) is an invasive plant. The TN-EPPC lists it as a "Significant Threat" to the environment. I would never recommend planting it or sharing it (unless the person promised they were growing it inside or something crazy like that). I often describe invasives as exponentially reproducing biological hazardous waste (which is not something I'd want to be dumping out into the environment).

Here is a link that might be useful: TN-EPPC Invasive Plants List

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 10:47PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I hope the MTPS discourages trading invasives (at least the Severe Threat and Significant Threat ones). I know that invasives occasionally get brought to the ETPS, because some people don't realize they are harmful. I have the TN-EPPC site linked on the ETPS site and mention it every once in a while so that, hopefully, people will avoid the environmentally damaging stuff.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 10:51PM
junebugntn(7B)

Thanks Brandon. Didn't know or forgot it was an invasive. Glad to know I don't have to feel guilty about sending so much to the dump. Interesting to note how many top rated nurseries still carry plants deemed invasive.

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
mtps
Don't miss The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap this Saturday!!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/64785223352/ http://www.midtnplantswap.com/...
bigorangevol
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™