If I start seeds indoors now...

tomatotomataFebruary 24, 2012

how soon could I plant them outside? I'm thinking in terms of size: then they are 6 inches tall? When they have 2 sets of leaves?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ralleia(z5 Omaha, NE)

Tomatoes benefit from deep transplanting. Bury them up to the first leaves and then they sprout new roots all along the stem, giving them the advantage of a greater ability to draw up water and nutrients.

If you started them now, you should be able to put them out in 5 to 6 weeks, if you are aiming for soonest. I'd plant them now, transplant into bigger p then I'd transplant them one time before transplanting out.

Here are tomato seedlings 4 weeks, 4 days old (seeded 23 January).

Here's them a week and a half ago, when I transplanted densely-seeded sprouts into pots at three weeks old from seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato seedlings at three weeks

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 2:23PM
tomatotomata

Thanks. I'm specifically interested in growing Sungold (since they get such raves here), so if the nursery doesn't have seedlings tomorrow, I'll buy a pack of seeds and try starting them myself. Thanks for the encouragement, and wish me luck!

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 5:08PM
readheads(6)

I find the key is keeping the heater pad thing under them the whole time. Consistent temperature is important. Also, plant 2 seeds in the bottom inch of a ~3-4 inch pot, keep the first sprout, pull out the second (ouch), fill dirt as the plant grows. Not disturbing the root "at all" plus the heat will get you real nice plants in 4-6 weeks.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 8:34PM
yumtomatoes(10a/FLA)

Are you in zone 10? If so, it may be too late to start seeds even for cherry tomatoes like Sun Gold. You can try and see what happens.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 10:53PM
nguyena1(8b)

The only place I've seen Sungold in plant form vs seeds is at my whole foods grocery store here in Austin. If you have one near you maybe you can grab a plant tomatotomata. They were 1 feet tall. I put mine nice and deep into the ground.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 3:58AM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

You can buy Sun Gold plants at Territorial Seed, but they don't start shipping until the first half of April. You'd be better off growing from seed.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 11:35AM
ameera(z11 Dubai)

I live where its a zone 11 like climate and now would be way too late to start seeds and I would imagine zone 10 would be too late as well... but not sure...

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 5:10PM
More Discussions
and now for a quick chortle ...
damn its cold. got another five inches 'o snow …....
bragu_DSM 5
Burpee Jersey Boy and Summer Girl
I just got these seeds in the mail this past week,...
thebutcher
Brandy Boy F1 vs F9
Last year, after reading many positive reviews about...
rt_peasant
Show Your Seedlings -2015
Lets share some pictures of our seedlings. Here is...
seysonn
Color of Tomato Plants
As anyone that follows my posts knows, I am growing...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™