Brachychiton doesn't bloom

pier_carlo_griottiApril 28, 2011

Hi everybody,

I read many other people grow this small tree. I have been growing one for 5 years now, and no flower shows up. This Spring I hoped at last this takes place, and when the big leaves from the previous year fell down I thought the moment was arriving. Instead, the apical buds do not have but new green leaves. My question is, is this only a matter of plant age, or do I do something wrong ( soil pH, watering)?

Thank you in advance

Pier

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alex_7b(7b/8a)

Which species are you trying to grow? There's quite a few.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 9:16PM
alisonoz_gw

Usually it is a matter of age. But yes it also does depend on the species. If yours is B acerifolious and if it was a seed-grown plant not grafted, it could take many years- 6 or more.
There are many other factors of course, like soil type and depth, amount of water or fertilizer, any improvement to boost plant growth in early years is good.
Ultimately, the tree will decide when it is ready.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 2:48AM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

B. acerifolius can take a very long time to bloom here in the San Francisco bay area, and are typically earlier to bloom the hotter the summers are. In my home town of Berkeley, or in San Francisco, they will grow but may never bloom. A 20 year old tree over 40 feet tall in Oakland has only started blooming,(when we have a hotter summer ), in the past few years. B. populneus is much more reliable, if less showy.

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 1:38AM
More Discussions
Tropical vine for part shade?
Hi all, I am looking for suggestions for a tropical...
ravensfan52
Cordyline Australis as a cheap, fast and easy palm
The Northern tropicalesque gardener has a dilemma,...
snowbanana
Erythrina crista-galli in bloom
This one is interesting...it's a seedling of another...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1
The bigger Musa are in there 2nd year in my yard and...
poaky1
Passionflower in Washington?
Hi guys, do any of you have experience growing passionflowers...
Brandon_the_Random
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™