Success in growing soapnut!

donnabaliApril 15, 2012

I am so excited I just have to post this. After ten years of waiting I have just made my first harvest of soapnuts, from a tree I planted from seed. They are called Kerorok in Bali.

They are very ecological and make a wonderful cleaning agent and shampoo. Sooo satisfying!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

That sounds like a useful plant. Congrats! Does it smell nice, too? If google showed me the right plants, they kind of look like palms. Cool!

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 10:18AM
waldie

I have one that's about 8 ft tall and I'm wondering about pruning it. It's time to start creating a strong structure but I don't know what pruning method to use. The bottom branches start at about 5 ft so it doesn't seem wise to cut the tree off below that?

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 5:57AM
donnabali

the first few years it was a thin stick, and then started branching out as you describe. I did not prune it at all, and then a couple of years later it was a tall bushy tree. It looks beautiful, and the nuts simply fall to the ground when ready. They are green at first and then turn brown naturally.

I use them for all my handwashing except for whites, because it is slightly brownish in color.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 4:10AM
waldie

Sounds like I just let it go and not worry about pruning. I know they get huge in time.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
Passionflower in Washington?
Hi guys, do any of you have experience growing passionflowers...
Brandon_the_Random
Cordyline Australis as a cheap, fast and easy palm
The Northern tropicalesque gardener has a dilemma,...
snowbanana
Growing a tropical plum in Zone 5
I bought and planted a Golden plum tree I bought locally....
Weylynn
End of Summer in Stamford Connecticut
My garden in CT , zone 6. on a rocky, dry hillside...
michaelzz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™