starting a giant elephant ear bulb in indoors

greenpassion(z4-z5 VT)April 9, 2010

I bought 2 large taro? bulbs (escalenta gigiantia?) and have them in large peat pots with good potting soil, under semi warm lights. Will I have to wait until it's warm enough out on my deck (with the sun on them) for them to emerge? It's been over 3 wks. ??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scully931(6)

Mine always take quite awhile to pop up. They really prefer it warm, so I wouldn't worry too much. They'll come up when they're good and ready. :-)

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 1:06AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

One method I've heard of is to soak the bulbs in quite warm water for several hours. This serves to break the dormancy of the bulb. Then pot up, but keep on the dry side until growth begins.

I placed several of my uppie bulbs in a large plastic storage container with the lid ajar, then placed that in the sun. The inside got very warm and seemed to give the bulbs the heat they needed to break dormancy. I potted them up and they are sending out roots.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 9:35AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I start my elephant ear bulbs in water (not a lot of water, about a 1/2 inch) and they come up in about 2 weeks (thats regular elephant ears though. One time they started to get mold so I had to get rid of the water, let it dry, and pot it up, and it grew fine despite the problem.

Good luck!

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
European fan palm early death
I bought 2 earopean fan palms in April or early May,...
poaky1
Cordyline Australis as a cheap, fast and easy palm
The Northern tropicalesque gardener has a dilemma,...
snowbanana
Russelia equisetifomis as annual in the north
Hi folks. Always good to pretty much sum up your whole...
wisconsitom
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
new tropical balanese garden
Hi we are starting from scratch on our back yard. We...
teza36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™