WANTED: Dwarf ambarella seedlings (Spondias cytherea)

cocomo(z10 / PR)April 1, 2007

I have several seedlings of this dwarf tree variety. Fruits are egg-sized. When ripe they become orange-yellow and sour-sweet in flavor. It has fruit in the tree almost round year, except for a dormant phase when it sheds its leaves.

From a website about tropical fruits, these are the different names it is given. An under-appreciated member of the Anacardiaceae, but deserving of improvement, is the ambarella, Spondias dulcis Forst. (syn. S. cytherea Sonn.). Among various colloquial names are Otaheite apple, Tahitian quince, Polynesian plum, Jew plum and golden apple. In Costa Rica, it is known as juplón; in Colombia, hobo de racimos; in Venezuela, jobo de la India, jobo de Indio, or mango jobo; in Ecuador, manzana de oro; in Brazil, caja-manga.

I would like to trade for other tropical fruits or tropical plants. I have most common tropicals so I would like some not so common plants. Anyways, send your offer or list and we can work up a trade. I do have a few seeds if you prefer to trade seeds, they are bulky though, so will send just a couple per trade.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenfreak(7a)

Hi:
Just a quick ???? The seed of these spondias varieties is very weird.Like spiky. How do you propagate them. Do you have to open up the spiky part and find seed in there or plant the whole thing. Any input appreciated.
Thanks

Bookmark   April 7, 2007 at 10:40AM
cocomo(z10 / PR)

Hi Gardenfreak:

Your e-mail is blocked...so I have no choice but to repply here. Hope you come back to read.
The spiky seed is planted as it is. No need to do anything special. Just plant and cover with about 1/2 inch of soil. Keep the soil moist but not soggy. It may take a month to sprout but they have close to 100% germination rate. Often you will get 2 or 3 seedlings coming out of the same spiky seed. If so keep caring for the seedlings until they are at least 6 inches tall and then you can carefully separate the seedlings and replant each of them apart in different pots. Hope this is useful.
cocomo

Bookmark   April 7, 2007 at 10:57PM
gardenfreak(7a)

Thanks Coco. Sorry that I did not respond earlier, but I had kind of lost the tread, but now I found it. I will sure give it a try.
Marilyn

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Jungle Cactus
The more beautiful the blossoms, the better.
david4c
HAVE: Drosera filiformis and D. intermedia
I have some 1 and 2 years old plants to trade. I am...
Drosera84
have: have: have; acalypha wilkesiana plant
Hi - I have, a nice large Acalypha wilkesiana plant. It...
Mistee17
WANTED: Starting over in new garden
Hi, We moved recently and I had to leave my beloved...
mrao77
HAVE: Black pepper (Piper nigrum)
I have a few rooted to trade. I'm looking for Banana's,...
tamixwp
Sponsored Products
Earth Spike For Rusty Cone 40/70 by SLV
$112.00 | Lumens
Roll Out Trays
CliqStudios Cabinets
Hudson Street Ancient Coin 3 pc. Quilt Set - Latte - 2000742
$41.66 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Flokati Dark Blue 39" x 58"
$59.97 | Home Depot
Kellie Clements Simply Chic Solar Screens - Textures
Blindsgalore