Tropical hedge in a small planter?

mkt04April 7, 2004

Hi, I'm very new to all this plant stuff because I've never lives in place with a backyard until now. However, I just moved into a small (very) bungalow in Venice Beach, CA. The back is actually a small deck with a sheet metal fence. I was born in Hawaii and would like to create a tropical feel, but the metal is killing my vibe. I'd like to build a small planter and put something in it that will cover much of the far wall. Because of the small space I want to keep the planter to about 12" wide, 16" high and 6' long. I was originally thinking something like Golden Goddess bamboo, but I've been told it won't work in such a small planter.

Is there any other type of plant that feels tropical that could grow to about 6' tall and cover the wall. I guess I could also do something that hung down from a planter at the top of the fence as well.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mich_in_zonal_denial

Mkt04,,
From my experience I would venture to say that the bamboo would work in this container.

I have a raised core ten metal box planted with Golden Goddess bamboo and it has been doing just fine for the past several years and is showing no signs of decline ,,,, on the contrary, it is thriving and enjoying life in bondage.

Another option(s) that you may want to entertain are vines.
Perhaps Lavender star flower ' Grewia', or Bougainvillea or Tecomaria or Distictis.

Mahalo.

Bookmark   April 7, 2004 at 8:36PM
don_brown(Zone 6A NS)

If that fence isn't already, you might want to paint it in a flat tropical colour that won't retain heat or cause it to reflect sharply into your eyes. Maybe a nice beach sand colour, so it will look like stucco..... Large-ish planters around the perimeter are a good idea. you can plant plants of varying height......cannas, bananas, small palms, hibiscus, sugar cane, bamboo or other ornamental grasses.........and compliment them with hanging plants. i built a ledge along the top of my fence and put window boxes along its length. I have everything from Thunbergia and nasturtium to rhodochiton and geranium growing in mine. Separate window boxes and planters give you an advantage.....you can re-arrange stuff periodically when some things are at their peak and others are not....or just for a change!

Bookmark   April 8, 2004 at 10:27AM
mkt04

Thanks Don & Mich! I think I'm going to change my whole plan around and do a couple square planters and then do some hanging plants between the two. That should make it more interesting than just one type of plant.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   April 14, 2004 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
Erythrina crista-galli in bloom
This one is interesting...it's a seedling of another...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
How hardy are oleanders?
I went to a talk a couple of weeks ago by David Francko,...
david_5311
Red Esentes
Here is my first attempt at growing Bananas. I got...
DueanGross
Coconut trees in California?
IS anyone growing these or know of any growing there?...
haycarumba99
Russelia equisetifomis as annual in the north
Hi folks. Always good to pretty much sum up your whole...
wisconsitom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™