Which tree should it be?

RedBird_TNSeptember 7, 2012

After doing lots of research and talking with two nurseries, I want to see what you all think...I am trying to make a decision about which decidious tree to plant in a bed that sits between the front sidewalk and my house. Here are the basics:

- Maxinum 20 foot spread preferred

- House faces southeast; tree will also get southwest sun in the afternoon!

- Hopefully will "soften" the corner of the house a bit

- No bright pink or purple blooms (pale pink ok)

- Dappled or filtered shade

- I want to be able to plant under it

- This is sort of what they call a "specimen" tree I guess; it is a tree that is by the driveway and the front of the house so it is walked by constantly so I want it to give good, happy feelings if that makes sense :)

Here are the trees that I'm considering (several were recommended to me by various and sundry folk)

* Serviceberry (I don't know the variety)

* Kousa Dogwood

* Paperbark Maple

* Crape Myrtle "Acoma"

* Japanese crape myrtle

* Stewartia malecodendron

* Stewartia ovata grandiflora

* Prunus mume

I love trees but don't have experience with any of these. I am open to any ideas or suggestions you have. Also, it would be great to know if you have had a terrific experience with one of these or a really bad experience with one of these.

Thank you so much!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teri2(7B TN)

I have not personally grown anything on your list but a good friend has a couple of Serviceberry trees. They are suseptible to a Rust disease if there is a Juniper or Cedar in the area. I don't know where you are in TN but in the Knoxville area it would be pretty much impossible to find an area that didn't have one of those! The Rust alternates each year between the Serviceberries and the conifers. She uses a spray labeled for Rust and has kept it under control. That's the bad news.

The good news is that it's a smallish, fast growing tree with lovely flowers in early spring.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 6:09PM
RedBird_TN

Teri2: Thank you for the feedback. This is quite helpful. I had heard about the rust hitting the Serviceberry, but didn't know how frequently it occured. It gives me something to think about, as I have a red "cedar" (juniper) in my backyard and as you said, they are all over the neighborhood.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 10:14PM
Tn_Tree_Man(7A)

It sounds like the planting site is begging for a white flowering dogwood (Cornus florida) underplanted with red kurume azaleas with some annuals and spring bulbs (daffodils) added for good measure.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
NE Tennessee problems
So I moved from way out in the country to near Downtown...
Chris Cousineau
Japanese Beetle traps & Milky Spore?
I think I read a post on one of the rose forums where...
krikit
Grading/Leveling recommendations
We're looking to grade and landscape our backyard,...
elsten
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™