Which tree should it be?
After doing lots of research and talking with two nurseries, I want to see what you all think...I am trying to make a decision about which decidious tree to plant in a bed that sits between the front sidewalk and my house. Here are the basics:
- Maxinum 20 foot spread preferred
- House faces southeast; tree will also get southwest sun in the afternoon!
- Hopefully will "soften" the corner of the house a bit
- No bright pink or purple blooms (pale pink ok)
- Dappled or filtered shade
- I want to be able to plant under it
- This is sort of what they call a "specimen" tree I guess; it is a tree that is by the driveway and the front of the house so it is walked by constantly so I want it to give good, happy feelings if that makes sense :)
Here are the trees that I'm considering (several were recommended to me by various and sundry folk)
* Serviceberry (I don't know the variety)
* Crape Myrtle "Acoma"
* Japanese crape myrtle
* Stewartia malecodendron
* Stewartia ovata grandiflora
* Prunus mume
I love trees but don't have experience with any of these. I am open to any ideas or suggestions you have. Also, it would be great to know if you have had a terrific experience with one of these or a really bad experience with one of these.
Thank you so much!!