Hardy Heliconia?

littlegiles1(8a SC)May 19, 2014

Hi everyone.

I was recently told by a friend that there are some heliconia that are doable in SC. I have some white butterfly gingers that I love because they come back each year. Are there Heliconia that will die back in winter and return in the spring? Perhaps some different colorful gingers that will work as well.

My tropical paradise is quickly becoming mostly elephant ears with an occasional fern thrown in.

Thanks!

- Dale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
publickman

The Heliconia schiedeana is hardy and it dies back and regrows each year. Also, it is easy to grow from seed. I got some seeds from the L.A. County Arboretum, where they have a lot of this heliconia, and they grew for me.

I also have a blue ginger in my back yard, and it regrows each year, even though there is never a frost where I live, but it might not be a true ginger.

Lars

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 11:43AM
littlegiles1(8a SC)

Thanks Lars. I will look into both of those.

-Dale

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 11:56AM
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

Heliconia Schiedeana only blooms on second year growth so if they get frosted during the winter, it won't bloom. I've had this heliconia in the ground for 11 years and it's only bloomed once after an extremely mild winter. I don't protect it at all. You would have to erect some sort of temporary protection over it or container grow it for you to see blooms. However, the leaves definitely give you the tropical look.

Steve

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
How hardy are oleanders?
I went to a talk a couple of weeks ago by David Francko,...
david_5311
Garden pics and my new gardening book
Hi Everyone, Here are a few pics from around the yard I...
statenislandpalm7a
Erythrina crista-galli in bloom
This one is interesting...it's a seedling of another...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
What is wrong with my bougainvillea?
This is located in Southern Florida. The location is...
kmkjimbo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™