EE's and Fertilizers

staceybeth(7 MA)May 7, 2008

Hi All,

I have 3 EE's, Black Magic, Giant Gree and a Lime Zinger. The black magic is just a baby but the two others are about 4.5 feet tall. All my plants are in containers (due to ledge in my yard). I have planted all of them in Miracle grow flower and shrub mix with some phagnum peetmoss to retain moister...

My question is, how often do I have to fertilize, since the MG has fertilizer in it?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Good question! I would think that since they'll need to be watered a LOT in containers, you'll probably need to boost the fertilizer more than usual. I'd probably follow fertilizer directions and water/fert once every couple weeks, or 'weakly, weekly' as they say. Make sure your containers have good drainage though.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 7:51AM
staceybeth(7 MA)

Thanks Dave! Even though they are in Miracle Grow I should still fert. every 2-3 weeks? Also, how much is enough water for these beauties? I dont want to overwater? Right now its raining out...and I watered 2 days ago. I have ordered some glass globe water feeders in hopes to help them too.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 8:50AM
sunsetsammy

Hi Staceybeth,

How big do you want your EE's??

I've been growing Black Magic and common green EE's for a couple years. I grow primarily for size. When growing from bulbs these plants usually start late in the season. They need quite a bit of heat to get going.

I grow mine in full sun or morning sun. I water the heck out of them. I really don't think you can over-water them if they are getting full sun and lots of heat.

I fertilize "lightly" with Miracle Grow 24-8-16 once every 7-10 days.

These plants can get HUGE if you water and fertilize diligently all summer.

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 6:37PM
staceybeth(7 MA)

Hi Sunset... right now, I have had to replant my ee's due to wet and cold conditions... I dont want the roots to rot. I used Moisture control Miracle Grow with a bunch of perlite. I use Osmocote (i think) 16/8/19 somthing like that... its slow release as well. I also have glass watering globes for all of them.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 11:43AM
staceybeth(7 MA)

My Black Magic is dying.. what do I do? Will it grow back.

I bought it a couple of weeks ago its just a baby with two leaves on it.. one fell off and it just looks like its going to die.. any advise?

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Tropical vine for part shade?
Hi all, I am looking for suggestions for a tropical...
ravensfan52
new tropical balanese garden
Hi we are starting from scratch on our back yard. We...
teza36
Russelia equisetifomis as annual in the north
Hi folks. Always good to pretty much sum up your whole...
wisconsitom
How hardy are oleanders?
I went to a talk a couple of weeks ago by David Francko,...
david_5311
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™