Looking for a reliable tree nursery in TN

ladybug1(7TN)September 15, 2007

I am looking for a reliable tree nursery in TN that will ship. I would like to get some redbuds to plant on my hillside. We had to pretty well clean off 50 feet up the hillside after a terrible storm took out a huge tree and it took out everything else. I don't want any 60 foot trees close to the house again (it just missed the house!) and something colorful would be nice to look at.

I would love to put a sugar maple out there, but it would be too close and it gets too big.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I would not consider buying redbuds sight-unseen. Redbuds are notorious for having poor form (sharp branching angles that cause the tree to break apart after a few years). The only way I would buy redbuds (except maybe for seedlings that I planed on carefully pruning to establish a good form), is to carefully examine every one for good branching characteristics. Redbuds are pretty but they tend to be poor quality trees if not carefully monitored and pruned.

Premium nurseries (aka expensive) will often have high quality redbuds. If you choose this tree, I would recommend spending the extra money and getting higher quality trees or starting with seedlings and carefully managing their growth for the first 5 to 10 years.

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 9:50AM
amazindirt(7A mid-TN)

Interesting thoughts, Brandon.

I've got several volunteer seedlings that I've been encouraging for the last few years. I never thought about checking their branching angles. I'll have to take a look at em!

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 10:37AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Once you have branches at the level you want, you can use plant tie tape for support below the branches and branch spreaders to increase the branching angles. If caught early enough, branch angle can be changed. Redbuds have weak easily split wood, so increase the angle gradually. Another tool that you might use is pantyhose tied low on the branch (close to the trunk). This would be easier on the branch than string or rope.

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
The early daffodils - ID?
Yesterday when driving around Blount County, I noticed...
RedBird_TN
Amaryllis in Tennessee
Can Amaryllis stay in the ground near Nashville TN?...
ryseryse_2004
Hardy mums from MN?
I had these from Faribault Growers in Northern IL and...
ryseryse_2004
vegetables/herbs in Tennessee
What are you planting now? What have you already...
ryseryse_2004
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
Sponsored Products
Luxe Tile Giclee Glow 14" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Chintaly Nerida Curio Cabinet - FLAIR-CUR
Hayneedle
Cameron Wall Sconce by Fredrick Ramond
$239.00 | Lumens
Maxim Elle 30" Wide 5-Light Oil-Rubbed Bronze Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Surya Soumek SMK-85 Rug
Beyond Stores
Justice Design Group GLA-8702 - Aero 2 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Rippled Ri
$320.00 | Hayneedle
Mosaic Tile Tray
$379.00 | FRONTGATE
Tobi Fairley Bamboo Trellis Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™