Help with canna layout!!

lee53011(5)May 6, 2006

I have started planting my new tropical bed and was wondering how many canna and how close they should be to look good. The bed is about 60' long by 12' or so wide. I have two musa basjoo bananas and will plant red castor beans, hardy hibiscus, black magic elephant ears, etc. Right now I have about 10 or 12 red canna and 3 or so yellow canna. Want to spread them out as much as possible and still look good. I am in zone 5 so will have to dig them up. Not sure what cultivar as I grew them from traded seed. Any help?

Lee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

It's generally recommended that canna tubers be planted 12-18 inches apart, though in cooler climates where they'll be dug up each year and are less susceptible to disease, a bit closer planting is probably going to be OK. Spacing also depends on the variety (dwarf hybrids can tolerate tighter spacing than the giants).

Here's a recent GW discussion on the subject (note the regional differences).

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 12:46AM
lee53011(5)

O.K. I get the spacing. Thanks for that! But what about the look. Better to have 1 group of 10 plants together or two groups of 5 or some other variation? I can buy more if I have to. Not looking for the jungle look, want some room to see individual groupings.

Thanks,
Lee

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 11:05AM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Massing makes for a more impressive show. I'd look at 10 tubers as a minimum number. Of course, if you're more interested in having a wide variety, you can group smaller numbers of several different kinds which have compatible growth/flowering. It's a matter of taste, but you might want to avoid having 5 cannas over here, then some other ornamental, then another small clump of cannas etc.

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 12:04PM
lee53011(5)

Eric thanks for the info. I went out and bought another 10 last week. Also a bunch of the sun coleus, gunnera, japanese blood grass, and about another $100 worth of stuff. Only went for the canna's but you know what happens when you get in the nursery!!

Lee

Bookmark   May 18, 2006 at 11:24PM
turquoise(5)

Ooh, Japanese blood grass, that sounds cool! I notice you're in zone 5 too. Is that hardy to our zone?

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 10:20AM
lee53011(5)

It is hardy to -10, so I will need to mulch it somewhat. I grow alot of stuff that is outside zone 5 as perennials, some just need a little help through the really bad days. Even some stuff that says zone 5 is marginal without help.

Lee

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Passionflower in Washington?
Hi guys, do any of you have experience growing passionflowers...
brandon_the_random
Russelia equisetifomis as annual in the north
Hi folks. Always good to pretty much sum up your whole...
wisconsitom
Crossandra, anyone?
This subforum is a pretty quiet place it seems. Nevertheless,...
wisconsitom
Red Esentes
Here is my first attempt at growing Bananas. I got...
dueangross
new tropical balanese garden
Hi we are starting from scratch on our back yard. We...
teza36
Sponsored Products
Posture Support Twin 14" Platform Bed Frame
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting Black Landscape Accessory Light Shield
$34.20 | Home Depot
Forum Area Rug II
Home Decorators Collection
La Vista Rug 8' x 10' - CREAM
$4,699.00 | Horchow
Italuce ITLED 3528 300 LED Strip Light - ITLED352812V300R
$27.62 | Hayneedle
Crystal Lamp: 9 in. Sequin and Chrome Table Lamp with Prismatic Crystals LT1027-
$89.99 | Home Depot
Calhoun Leather Corner Sectional (3 piece) - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
Sango 40-piece Nova Brown Stoneware Dinnerware Set
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™