Garden featured in local newspaper

JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)May 9, 2005

My garden is featured in this month's issue of a local community newspaper, DC North. The writer got a few small facts wrong (like the name of my street!) but overall she did a good job with it and she was enthusiastic about the subject. When she interviewed me in March there was almost nothing growing or blooming in the garden--fortunately she had seen my online photo albums, and was able to include one of my own photos from last year when the garden was at its peak.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden article (pdf)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jayferg

That is a great article. Congrats!!

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 6:01PM
thistle5(z7 VA)

Great writeup!, I'm sure you're inspired now to go out & do some new stuff, it sounds like a wonderful garden already, but it's fun to tinker...

I'm interested in your bananas & palms, I live a bit south of you, near Mt. Vernon, & just planted a tiny banana, that overwintered indoors (the kind you buy in the grocery store, marked 'Banana Splitz') outside , with lots of manure & humus, mixed with my clay soil, outside. I'm going to go looking for needle & windmill palms, & I've already put out lots of coleus & cannas (probably before it was warm enough for them).

It's a challenge, adding a garden to a traditional colonial (not messing with the front, mostly lawn & slate-edged beds)& trying to do some more tropical stuff in the back-it's heavily shaded by trees (& I want to save the south exposure for a greenhouse, eventually)-& I've just gotten into orchids & moved some dendrobiums outside, which the squirrels promptly chewed...

I love your garden & hope that you enjoy working with it this spring...Thistle/Linda

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 7:18PM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

Nice writeup!

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 11:18PM
summeronmymind(7)

What a nice writeup, and an inspirational picture. Are those pink feathery plants the red hot pokers? Anyway, congrats!

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 4:58PM
lawnandleaf(z7a nVA)

Go to holly woods and vines in mt vernon neare 235 and route 1 . There you will now find 30 - 40 windmills of all different heights. They also have washingtonia and queen palms. The place is on the left going south.

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 10:51PM
JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)

The red-hot pokers don't show in this photo. The pink spiky things are plumes of an ornamental grass, Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Moudry' (it is supposed to be much darker but this cultivar has probably been grown from seed and much watered down). There are also some cleome in the photo, which don't show up very clearly.

Here's a slightly better version of the same photo (see link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden photo

Bookmark   May 20, 2005 at 10:26AM
JudieR(8/MS)

Johnnie, Your garden is beautiful. I've looked at all the pictures several times and I like that you add comments. Can you tell me,please, what the big red flower is that looks like a hibiscus? I want one, whatever it is! I also loved the "shady corner". Motivating!!!!!!
Judie in Mississippi

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1
The bigger Musa are in there 2nd year in my yard and...
poaky1
Erythrina crista-galli in bloom
This one is interesting...it's a seedling of another...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Cordyline Australis as a cheap, fast and easy palm
The Northern tropicalesque gardener has a dilemma,...
snowbanana
California transplant (me!) wants the tropics
Hi all! As per the subject, I'm a Californian and I...
Heidittttttt
Sponsored Products
Sunnydaze 4-Tier Grand Courtyard Fountain, Dark Chestnut, 80 Inch Tall
SerenityHealth
Recife Garden Lattice Cocoa/ Black Rug (8'6 x 13')
Overstock.com
Recife Garden Cottage Black and Cocoa Rectangular: 5 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft. 6 in. Rug
$99.00 | Bellacor
9" Stainless Steel Bucket Planter
Signature Hardware
Verdon 4 pocket wooden organizer
Origin Crafts
White Hall Anniversary Heart Birds Ceramic Oval Petite Wall Address Plaque - 264
$65.99 | Hayneedle
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Caribbean Navy 7 ft. 10 in. x
Home Depot
Spear & Jackson Anvil Lopper
$44.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™