lilac problem...

rader_ranch(7)October 30, 2007

Hello all...so we planted this lilac this year, and it's leaves got powdery mildew and brown spots pretty quick. Got to the point where we decided to trim it and take all the leaves off. It grew a bunch of beautiful new leaves that stayed that way for a good month or more....then back came the powdery mildew and brown spots. tried a fungicide already, but don't remember the specifics of it, not home to check now.

We love lilacs and would of course like to keep this one alive, but if it continually has al its leaves get sick like this it's not gonna last long. Any thoughts/help much appreciated.

Scott....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Except for the aesthetics, the powdery mildew is usually not a problem. The brown spots are probably bacterial blight. If it were me, I'd make sure to clean the area of fallen leaves this fall and see what happened next year. If the problem persisted, I'd probably get rid of the plant. I don't like plants I have to baby too much. You might want to replace it with a lilac more suited to this area (We're not in the best area for lilacs especially now that it's warmer) and resistant to the problems.

If you do want to try to treat it, do so BEFORE the outbreak. There's plenty of advise on what to use to treat the plant if you google "lilac bacterial blight".

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
A couple of palms almost grew in Knoxville
This past year, a new Holiday Inn appeared on Papermill...
anntn6b
Evergreen trees with large leaves
I'm seeing them all around and wonder what they are?...
ryseryse_2004
Japanese Maple Autumn Moon
I would like to know if anyone knows of a nursery in...
alan_ill
**** Spring 2015 East Tennessee Plant Swap ****
The Spring 2015 East Tennessee Plant Swap will be held...
brandon7 TN_zone
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™