WANTED: viable Hel. rostrata division for choice of banana pups

bcfromfl(z8a NW FL)July 14, 2007

Hi --

I'd like to try a Heliconia rostrata, but I'm not skilled enough to do rhizomes. Tried once before and failed. I have many banana pups popping up from mats, and would like to trade one for a rooted division with significant growth.

I haven't separated any pups yet (on my to-do list) to get them rooted, but if you are interested in a trade, will get it done so it will be ready in three or four weeks. Or, if it doesn't matter to you, will slice one off and get it in the mail.

I have Super Dwarf Cavendish (grows and pups like a weed, but not very cold-hardy), genuine California Gold purchased from Jeff E., dwarf namwah, dwarf Brazilian, and ice cream. The last four survived several freezes last winter (one brutal freeze was twelve hours below 32F, hitting a low of 20F) with trunks intact, and are fruiting right now off of last-year's growth. Ice creams are at 15+ feet.

I know there are some varietal differences in H. rostrata -- if you have bloom pics that would be great. I plan to grow it in a planter that I can bring in the garage when it gets cold. I've heard they'll still bloom this way, and won't get quite as large with their roots restricted.

Bruce C.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lady

Hi Bruce. I have rostrata that looks like this http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Heliconiaceae/Heliconia_rostrata.html
It gets about 4 1/2' tall. Do you have anything other than bananas to trade? I was actualy looking here to see if anyone wanted to trade for any of mine before I bartered with a local nursery.

Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 7:45AM
bihai(zone 9)

I am not particularly interested in those bananas either, but if you have other things to trade, I have containerized bloom sized Heliconia rostrata in 10-15 gal containers that could be picked up for in person trade

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 7:23PM
bcfromfl(z8a NW FL)

Hi lady -- I sent you an e-mail on Sunday the 15th.

Thanks bihai -- I seem to recall that you live near Orlando? (Or thereabouts...) Wish I live closer.

Bruce

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 11:12PM
Lady

Bruce I didn't get the email. Please try again

Brocious 57 at juno dot com

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 4:56PM
bcfromfl(z8a NW FL)

Sent message again last night.

Bookmark   July 21, 2007 at 10:22AM
bihai(zone 9)

No I don't live in Orlando I live in Gainesville

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 7:02AM
More Discussions
wanted: black magic ee's
Anyone have any extra Black Magic Elephant Ear bulbs?...
LaceyG
HAVE: Hawaiian White Ginger (Hedychium coronarium)
I think it is also known as Butterfly Ginger. I have...
caflowerluver
HAVE: Jasminum Sambac, rangoon creeper
I have Jasminum sambac grand duke supreme Jasminum...
bunti
HAVE: special seeds for plant trade...
Hi, Have these special seeds for a plant trade of interest. (((Macadamia...
flowerjunkie2
WANTED: Wanted: Egyptian Queen Pineapple
Looking for Egyptian Queen Pineapple.
budershank
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™