Anyone protect a Crepe Myrtle TREE in zone 6?

poaky1June 2, 2014

I could post in the tree forum, but will try here first. Could you "dry pack" one in straw and prevent water coming in all winter in zone 6? I know not all winters will be brutal, but could it survive that treatment, guesses are welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

You can build a wire cage and stuff it full of anything- straw, leaves, etc. Just remember that it will pack down and you'll need to add more mid winter.
All that limits you is the size of your tree.

I think this past winter scared us all- I have multiple old Crape Myrtles in my neighborhood, so clearly they usually survive.
Don't freak out and feel like you have to cage everything just because one winter went wonky.

I think that if we learned anything it would be to site them a bit more carefully and make sure they are somewhat protected from winter winds.

This post was edited by cearbhaill on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 8:42

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 8:41AM
poaky1

Cearbhaill, I really would love for you to tell me, how was the wi nter of 2013-2014 so much worse than other winters in the past 8-10 winters ago?

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 2:23AM
poaky1

My seven-son-flower shrub has surprised me and cracked. There are leaves in the upper area, but the trunk is cracked, ready to fall on the ground. I just may replace it with a Crepe.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
jubaea chilensis
Hi all. This is my first posting on this site and I'm...
palmvirgin
need home for a large brugmansia
I have a large ( over 6 x 6') plant that I need to...
michaelzz
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
What is wrong with my bougainvillea?
This is located in Southern Florida. The location is...
kmkjimbo
new tropical balanese garden
Hi we are starting from scratch on our back yard. We...
teza36
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™