seedlings vs new suckers

Sherry_Bell(9)February 12, 2012

Last year was my first year growing tomatoes. I live in Florida and we did not get a winter this year, so my (grape) tomatoes are still producing and growing new suckers. I have figured out how to take off some of those suckers and replant them to start new plants. The plants are growing slow now however with the method of using the suckers to restart new plants, is that a good or bad idea? Should I be pulling all of this up and getting rdy to put out new ones?

I am real new at this and would love your input.

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barrie2m_

Good idea, assuming plants are healthy. You'll be weeks ahead of restarting from seed. I envy your dilemma.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 3:30PM
ralleia(z5 Omaha, NE)

I think that using suckers to start new plants is a valid idea. Here in zone 5 I took suckers off my very prolific Cosmonaut Volkov plant last fall. The seeds that I had stored were getting old and I didn't want to lose the line. The two plants are overwintering in the sunny south windows and doing very well.

Go for it--just don't destroy the parent plants until your suckers are showing signs of new growth.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 7:46AM
hellbound

i have the same issue here in phoenix and i'm wondering y pull up the old plant i have 1 orange cherry and one grape that i've allreedy potted some cuttings from but what is the downside to letting these continue to grow they are loaded with flowers now and i'm getting about 10 pounds of fruit a week, so why would i pull them up?

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 10:58AM
ralleia(z5 Omaha, NE)

I don't believe that there is any reason to pull them up as long as they are still healthy and productive.

The only thing I would do is make sure to keep fertilizing them so that they can keep up production. Top-dress them with a couple inches of compost now, and continue what you normally do to keep them healthy.

Tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants are actually tender perennials, not annuals. I have peppers in the basement that are five-year-old plants. Every fall I stick them in a pot and overwinter them in the basement. When spring rolls around I transplant them back outdoors and get at least a month head-start over those puny seedlings!

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
Tomato clips
I'm thinking of using tomato clips this year. Tying...
carriehelene
Supermarket Tomatoes 4
On 1-27-15 I planted 4 more seeds again from a supermarket...
garf_gw
Overwhelmed with tomato variety options, need some help choosing...
I realize that for many of you tomatophiles, planting...
stringz
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
Sponsored Products
Hudson Valley Altamont 8" Wide Dark Bronze Mini Pendant
Lamps Plus
VIGO White Frost Vessel Sink and Blackstonian Faucet Set in Chrome
Modern Bathroom
WAC Tesla LED Single Floodlight Recessed Trim with Housing
Euro Style Lighting
Alliyah Handmade Cream New Zealand Blend Wool Rug(6' x 6')
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Area Rug: Anatole Deep Blue and Ivory 3' x 5'
Home Depot
Serena & Lily Gobi Wool Rug
Serena & Lily
Crosley LaFayette Expandable Bar Cabinet - KF40001BBK
$450.00 | Hayneedle
Free-Pad New Rust Wool Persian Runner 3' x 12' Heriz Serapi Hand Knotted Rug H32
BH Sun Inc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™