Making happy Ostrich ferns

poaky1June 7, 2013

My Ostrich ferns have never come up the year after planting. I'm zone 6. I have Korean rock fern,Sensitive fern,Autumn fern. I may be able to buy another, but what do they like, so I can stop one from going away?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanne

Perhaps you are killing them with kindness? I can't get rid of them in dry shade here. I would suggest next time that you plant, water well, then walk away.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 10:48PM
poaky1

I haven't really (until now) catered to ferns. I REALLY Love ferns and shade though. But anyway, Whatever shade trees, need to be included in the final conspiracy that leads to the final arrest of our native ferns!

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 4:21AM
poaky1

Free tidal breeze.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 4:25AM
poaky1

Sorry I had obviously had too much to drink on July 17, 2013 at 4;21 AM. Sorry. I have planted Tennessee Ostrich fern in 2 more locations. One in a low area, where the abundant rain recently is settling, and in an upper area under an oak tree and next to a boulder where, hopefully the roots can stay moist longer than where there is no boulder shading the ground. Again sorry for the last 2 posts before this one, them cocktails snuck up on me. I'm a bit goofy sober anyway.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 12:31AM
More Discussions
End of the season!
Winter came a little early this year! In past years...
JohnnieB
Garden pics and my new gardening book
Hi Everyone, Here are a few pics from around the yard I...
statenislandpalm7a
Growing a tropical plum in Zone 5
I bought and planted a Golden plum tree I bought locally....
Weylynn
End of Summer in Stamford Connecticut
My garden in CT , zone 6. on a rocky, dry hillside...
michaelzz
Crossandra, anyone?
This subforum is a pretty quiet place it seems. Nevertheless,...
wisconsitom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™