Does anyone have experience with this plant?

gardener_maid(5a MI)June 3, 2004

Petasites japonicus var giganteus aka 'Dinosaur food' I am thinking of buying this but need to know a little bit more about it than they are telling us at 'Parks'. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusfreak(7)

It is huge and can be invasive, but easy to pull up in loose soil. Needs lots of water. Does well in a bog. Goes dormant in the winter and has an insignificant flower in the spring. What else do you need to know.?

Here is a link that might be useful: Petasites japonicus

Bookmark   June 3, 2004 at 12:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susgarden(z6ky)

this is a great plant in a shaded area. in ky. i have to shade it from hot summer sun, but where you are, part sun/shade will be fine. my 3 inch pot has developed into a 10 foot patch in 4 years. spreads by root, and will keep spreading. if you just dig the sprouts around the edge of the patch you can easily control the size of the patch. i have clay soil here and have to water it in the heat of summer. your soil, i believe is sandy, so you may have to water, or plant in a bog. dig a hole 18 inches deep, use a heavy (6 mil) layer of plastic to line the hole to retain moisture. here it gets 5 foot tall with leaves 2-3 foot across. i'm sending you an email with a link to my online photos on shutterfly. i have plenty, so if you decide to try it , let me know, maybe we can trade something. susgarden

Bookmark   June 6, 2004 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
need home for a large brugmansia
I have a large ( over 6 x 6') plant that I need to...
michaelzz
new tropical balanese garden
Hi we are starting from scratch on our back yard. We...
teza36
Passionflower in Washington?
Hi guys, do any of you have experience growing passionflowers...
Brandon_the_Random
Pic of gigantic outdoor ensete bananas, zone 4
This year has been awesome! With lots of heat, water...
arctictropical
How hardy are oleanders?
I went to a talk a couple of weeks ago by David Francko,...
david_5311
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™