Stephanotis

Sheila(8b SW Texas)June 5, 2009

I recently purchased this beautiful plant at an area GH. It has a cluster of buds and I can hardly wait for them to open. They had a large specimen size plant on display that had hundreds of blooms and the fragrance was incredible.

I've planted it in a hanging basket. Choices of where to hang it are either a front porch where it will only get filtered afternoon sunlight or under an arbor over a fish pond where it can get much brighter filtered sunlight. The arbor is in an open area (This is SC Texas, hot sunlight), covered with black shade cloth. Some of it is further shaded by a heavy growth of butterfly bush. I also have a small screen house where I grow orchids. Less sunlight than either of the other two. Also, what about water & feeding needs? TIA.

Sheila :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gusolie

I hope your hanging basket is fairly strong and has a good hook, etc, since stephanotis is a heavy, wood vine albeit rather slower growing.

I highly recommend the the arbor by the fishpond with brighter light!!! Not enough light and it won't flower as much as it could. In southern Florida stephanotis is terrific under the dappled shade of tall palms, but it definitely gets sun.

In the heat of summer, keep soil always moist, and as a lover of organic, rich soils, I'd liquid feed it at 1/2 the rate on the label every other watering as long as it remains warm, there in Texas probably through Sept.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stephanotis cultural info

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 2:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sheila(8b SW Texas)

Thx gusolie. That feeding schedule will work well with what I give the orchids & I'll grow it by the fishpond. Thx also for the wonderful link.

Sheila :)

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 12:53PM
More Discussions
Pic of gigantic outdoor ensete bananas, zone 4
This year has been awesome! With lots of heat, water...
arctictropical
What is wrong with my bougainvillea?
This is located in Southern Florida. The location is...
kmkjimbo
California transplant (me!) wants the tropics
Hi all! As per the subject, I'm a Californian and I...
Heidittttttt
Something is eating my philodendron leaves
I have an outdoor philodendron which is emerging from...
jimmybo
End of Summer in Stamford Connecticut
My garden in CT , zone 6. on a rocky, dry hillside...
michaelzz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™