Loquats fruiting in Northern Virginia!

johnsaunt(7)June 13, 2006

I am so excited! I planted these from seed in 1995. They've bloomed every year, but never set fruit. This year I was especially careful to drag them into the garage when it got really cold and then drag them back out to the sunlight. My efforts paid off this year with delicious fruit! The %$~*^& squirrels ate a lot of them green, but apparently gave up before they ripened.

Ginny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)

In a pot anything is possible, but in the ground in our areas a Loquat may not have long enough of a growing season to set fruit.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 6:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_nc_7b(7b NC)

Loquat is probably hardy in the ground in your area, as it is rock hardy here in 7b NC. However the problem is that it flowers in late fall and the frost gets it. I have 3 large trees (10'-15') One of them set fruit 3 years ago, but only got 4 loquat fruit. Again this same tree fruited again but with many more, 20 or so. I have one tree that I grew from the fruit from 3 years ago, and it is about 3' tall now. I'm just wondering if it will fruit as well, or maybe even better. It will be interesting to see. I love Laquat, as it is tropical looking and evergreen, and never get to large.
Steve

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
need home for a large brugmansia
I have a large ( over 6 x 6') plant that I need to...
michaelzz
jubaea chilensis
Hi all. This is my first posting on this site and I'm...
palmvirgin
Something is eating my philodendron leaves
I have an outdoor philodendron which is emerging from...
jimmybo
Erythrina crista-galli in bloom
This one is interesting...it's a seedling of another...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™