mixing of plants

merrydJune 13, 2006

I would like some advise on combining plants with somewhat different culture needs. I have windmill and sago palms, cannas, bannanas, taro and callacsia(sp!!), varigated and solid yucca(both with the softer leaves) that I'm going to try keep trimmed to look palm like.

My biggest question is what should NOT be grown together. My gardens are mostly part sun/shade with heavy shade most of the morning and the best sun in early to mid afternoon. I'm afraid mostly of heavy watering needs of one rotting another. Also asthetics, now and in the future.

Another concern is placement for optimal veiwing from our deck. It sits up from 5' to 8'with the yard sloping down to the front and the right continuing down the side to a small drainage creek bordered in the back with large shade trees (wich is SE and heavy in shade untill late morning/early afternoon). The creek sits about 15' down from the veiwing level of the deck. I don't want the tops of bananas or palms blocking the veiw but I want to play up the water feature. Looking straight out the back I have a center island garden then a wide border with a 6' privacy fence at the back, where the we can see over to the neighbors yard wich is quite nice so don't want to block that veiw either. The NW side is in mostly shade all day and the veiw isn't so important. There's a large maple near that side I'm contimplating cutting down, but thats so drastic, we love trees but there's a row of oak and a few other trees along the fence line.

I guess another question is how to deal with the massive root structure from the tree-how much dirt would have to be piled on top in order the be able to dig adequite holes?

Thanks for any imput

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

Culturally:

windmill palm -- average watering; tolerates occasional wet periods and tolerates drought with age; full sun to light shade

sago palm (not a real palm) -- average watering; tolerates occasional wet periods and tolerates drought with age; tolerates sun in coolest areas, better with light shade in most areas

cannas -- best with full sun and lots of water

bananas -- best with full sun and lots of water; out of wind

taro -- lots of water when actively growing; full sun to light shade

calocasia -- same as taro

yuccas (both) -- dry soil, full sun

Never pile soil up on the root zone of an existing tree. If you cut the tree down, have the stump ground out; then you can plant anywhere.

Joe

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
Pic of gigantic outdoor ensete bananas, zone 4
This year has been awesome! With lots of heat, water...
arctictropical
Garden pics and my new gardening book
Hi Everyone, Here are a few pics from around the yard I...
statenislandpalm7a
Something is eating my philodendron leaves
I have an outdoor philodendron which is emerging from...
jimmybo
new tropical balanese garden
Hi we are starting from scratch on our back yard. We...
teza36
Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1
The bigger Musa are in there 2nd year in my yard and...
poaky1
Sponsored Products
Transitional Style Coffee Ceramic Table Lamp with Beige Fabric Shade
ParrotUncle
Shooting Star 19-inch High With Sandstone Finish Garden Decor
Overstock.com
Hold All Pendants & Hanging Fixtures Outdoor LED Solar Hanging Planter Lite
$14.99 | Home Depot
Ceramic Sunflower Beverage Dispenser
Classic Hostess
Pretty Purple Botanical Arrangement
$349.00 | FRONTGATE
Cactus Medium Table Lamp by Slamp
$299.20 | Lumens
Truly Romance Faux-Floral Arrangement - WHITE
$485.00 | Horchow
Tan Nautical On Cream Lamp Shade 8x14x10.25 (Spider)
$79.91 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™