Who Am I?

IMQTPI(z9 CA)April 7, 2005

Hopefully, this'll be an easy one for you Tropical Gurus!!!

I recently visited my local Wal-Mart and picked up a few plants with very descriptive tags: '8" Foliage'

I'm guessing the green one on the left is some sort of Alocasia. It has pretty "stiff" glossy leaves.

...And the purply-red one on the right is some sort of Cordyline (I'm hoping Cordyline baueri - since it's more suitable for my zone!!! It might be Cordyline fruticosa, though - more suitable for "indoors" in my neck o' the woods).

Both of these guys were in a somewhat 'shady' area of my local Wal-Mart's Garden Center. I'm hoping they're suitable for outdoor use here (but - this being Wal-Mart - I'm a tad dubious!). Worst case, I'll treat 'em as annuals, but I'd be Mondo-Happy if they were perennials (and I'm not opposed to mulching heavily, over winter, if need be).

So - Do any of you experts have an opinion as to what these guys might be? And what do they "like" (Sun-wise, Water-wise)?

Our yard is mostly subjected to deadly, glaring sunshine throughout the summer months - so I suspect they can't be "prominently displayed" outside our back door (planter surrounded by concrete - probably averages 120* in mid-summer).

I do have some "semi-shady" spots (morning sun only) that get quite a bit of water - back in "The Jungle Zone." (avg 80* temps w/plenty of water in summer - dipping to upper 20*s in the winter).

Do any of you "experts" know what these guys might be - and what conditions they prefer?

I'd be most appreciative!!!

Thanks!

-Nancy

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thegreenman_zone10(Florida)

The Left one is a philodendron, I'm not sure which variety. The right is Hawaiian ti, Cordyline "Xerox"

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 7:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Boca_Joe(zone 7A)

Nancy,

do what I do. Keep the philo on the left IN THE POT and place it in another decorative pot (with drain holes) . you can stuff some spaghnum moss around the top and sides if you want. Place the decorative pot in a shady spot.

When colder weather comes, just pop the plant out and bring it back inside in the smaller pot!

I have also had great success planting tropicals in their original pots right in the ground, again when cold comes , it;s easy to pop up the pop and brng it in. The roots don't get disturbed, and I have never seen any detrimental effect on the plant growing like this- they seem to love it!

I have had a philo selloum for 4 years now in an 8" pot !! It has a spread of 4 to 5'!

good luck

Boca Joe

Bookmark   April 17, 2005 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Wax Jambu in California?
Haves somebody get fruiting Syzygium samarangense anywhere...
jose_carlos
Anyone have cuttings/plants they need to get rid of?
I am looking to start a tropical garden and was wondering,...
mizzalic
Sapodilla
I have a grafted Alano sapodilla in the ground that...
racor_2006
where can I find the full "suicidal gardenia" thread?
Anyone know where to read the whole thing?
dreambig3becca
Making roots larger on Ficus 'Ginseng'
Hi! This is my first post ever on the forums! I recently...
Kottepalm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™