Tomato STEM skin cracking?

Cherokee_(7a)February 24, 2014

Some of my tomato plants (White Queen) have small skin cracks on the stem that run vertically. It doesnt seem to be doing harm, nor spreading, and seems to me like a symptom of fast growth.

Ive searched the internet and cannot seem to find any information on this particular situation. Was wondering if someone could elucidate me as to what exactly is going on, and if its anything that needs rectifying.

That small white part is what Im talking about. Its not bumpy or anything, its a little smooth.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gelatodave

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mine did the same thing last year and it did not affect the plants growth or yield.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 4:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Just as with the fruit rapid growth accompanied by inconsistent soil moisture levels - too wet and then too dry etc. can cause stem splitting. The stem shrinks then swells and splits. Stabilize the moisture level.

That plant is going to be awfully big by the time you can transplant it outdoors. Personally I plant some new seeds for proper planting time or at least take small cuttings from that one and root them.

Dave

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Big Boo-Boo! On Red Robins
I started some Red Robins a while back, or I thought...
wertach zone 7-B SC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™