Solarizing in drought?

anntn6b(z6b TN)October 13, 2007

Not that a whole lot of weeds are sprouting, but is there any rush to put black plastic down to supress weeds in a couple of areas where I hope to garden next year?

With almost no soil moisture, would I be doing more harm?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amazindirt(7A mid-TN)

I'm not a big fan of solarizing anyway. As Brandon has recently pointed out elsewhere, solarizing sterilizes the soil -- and that includes killing off all the GOOD bugs that are in there. Try smothering with some lasagna/mulch layers instead (thick newspaper plus mulch or something similar), to eliminate some of the weeds without killing off the good guys.

Bookmark   October 13, 2007 at 2:49PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

This is for an area with a serious Crown Gall problem and I do expect to have to re-established the good guys in this area, but A. tumefaciens is here and it was a long time tobacco plot.

Bookmark   October 13, 2007 at 3:41PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

In that case, why don't you irrigate the area (if possible) before putting down the plastic. If the area isn't around a water source, just wait until the next rain (or light sprinkle, as its been lately). That might make it more effective.

Bookmark   October 14, 2007 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
Any chicken coop experts?
We have what I thought was a well-built chicken coop....
fraziertoo
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
mtps
Don't miss The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap this Saturday!!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/64785223352/ http://www.midtnplantswap.com/...
bigorangevol
Growing Grapes in Tennessee
In hopes of getting some conversation going in our...
brandon7 TN_zone
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™