Bamboo...or what?

najoba(8b)July 24, 2013

When we were in San Antonio TX at the Riverwalk, I saw a large plant that was growing in segments around 8-10" in length, like bamboo. The segments were green. But the leaves were big and round, looking nothing like any bamboo I've ever seen. Since it does get cold enough for freezing weather in that area, it must be able enough to survive cold temperatures.

It was a very pretty plant, and you really didn't see the bamboo-like segments unless you looked closely, as the big leaves prevented that, except on close inspection.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of plant that could be?

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Did you take a pic? There are many kinds of bamboo but I don't think any has round leaves. Kind of sounds like Optunia cactus but I think you would have mentioned thorns. Maybe it was something like Canna, banana, bird-of-paradise plant?

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 10:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Edie(5 NY (Finger Lakes))

Could it have been Japanese knotweed? Do a search for photos of Fallopia japonica or Polygonum cuspidatum (synonyms) and see if that looks familiar. You do not want it. Even up here it is invasive and threatens native ecosystems.
There's a big clump of the stuff in the backyard of my new apartment. The landlord referred to it as "bamboo."

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Tropical vine for part shade?
Hi all, I am looking for suggestions for a tropical...
ravensfan52
Crossandra, anyone?
This subforum is a pretty quiet place it seems. Nevertheless,...
wisconsitom
End of Summer in Stamford Connecticut
My garden in CT , zone 6. on a rocky, dry hillside...
michaelzz
Coconut trees in California?
IS anyone growing these or know of any growing there?...
haycarumba99
Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1
The bigger Musa are in there 2nd year in my yard and...
poaky1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™