Walking Iris

columbiastock(Z7)October 28, 2010

Recently given two walking iris by a lady (from Savannah, Tn.)that came to our yard sale. While she was here she noticed my reblooming white iris and had never heard of them, so I dug her up a clump. Next day I found two plants she had brought by my garage door. Searching in Tn Gardening for information, nothing was listed but was some listed on the Garden Web. Would like to know if anyone in the Middle Tn area grows these iris and any information appreciated?

Wanda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Wanda,

I'm guessing they are some species of Neomarica? Do you happen to know which species they are? Some are hardy/marginally hardy in your area, some are not. I think pretty much all of them appreciate moist, well-draining soil, and few if any do well in dry soils. Most can grow in anything from full sun to light shade. It would be pretty easy to find more specifics if we knew exactly what you had.

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 5:35PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

BTW, sounds like you got a good deal! I'd sure be happy to trade someone some white reblooming iris for just about any type of Neomarica.

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 5:37PM
columbiastock(Z7)

Thanks Brandon, the lady thought my crocosmias were the walking iris. The leaves are so similar. She told me about her walking iris and am greatful she brought me two. Now I see how they walk, there was a bloom stem on one of the plants she gave me. It had attached so far up the stem a set of leaves 3"tall with a clump of little roots that came out from the side.

Wanda

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
Evergreen trees with large leaves
I'm seeing them all around and wonder what they are?...
ryseryse_2004
Japanese Beetle traps & Milky Spore?
I think I read a post on one of the rose forums where...
krikit
Amaryllis in Tennessee
Can Amaryllis stay in the ground near Nashville TN?...
ryseryse_2004
Growing Grapes in Tennessee
In hopes of getting some conversation going in our...
brandon7 TN_zone
Japanese Maple Autumn Moon
I would like to know if anyone knows of a nursery in...
alan_ill
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™