July garden photos

JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)July 2, 2005

Went out a couple of days ago and took some photos. Here is my Musa basjoo:

It's only about 6 feet tall so far, but it died all the way back and got off to a late start and has put out all this growth, from the ground up, in about 6 weeks. Here's a closeup of the Spigelia marilandica growing next to it:

Here is a Kniphofia hybrid, which is much brighter in person than it appears in this rather washed-out photo:

And finally a palm, one of my waggies (growing with Zantedeschia 'Whipped Cream'):

Here's a closer view of the waggie, which is now 5 years old from seed, in its fourth growing season in the ground, and has survived 3 winters with minimal protection:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gardener972(7b-8a DFW)

Very nice! I love that spigelia marilandica! Tell more about that! Also, you mentioned a "waggie," what's that? What's the heart shapped plant with the spotted leaves?

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 6:21PM
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

very neat. I hadn't thought of putting my spigelia in the tropical garden, and it stopped blooming a couple weeks ago even though I am north of you. Course I got it from Mississippi.

My M. basjoo is in the ground now - I got it last year only six inches high and wintered inside - it is putting out a little pup. Maybe in a couple years I'll have that grove effect. What have you got growing behind the banana?

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 10:22PM
maxcat(7 SC)

Is the third picture what we call Red Hot Polka. It looks the same. Also where did you get the Musa basjoo. I would love to have it in my yard.

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 1:37PM
TonyfromOz(z10 NSW Aust)

Gardener972, I think Johnnieb's 'waggies' are Trachycarpus wagnerianus, the young palm in his pics.

I must say that, in my opinion, folksy nicknames like this are often an obstacle to effective communication. On the other hand, some like to use them to give a more friendly, informal tone to their postings.

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 5:56AM
JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)

Yes, the "waggies" are Trachycarpus wagnerianus. Sorry about that. And Kniphofia is simply the botanical name for "red hot poker".

Behind the banana is simply "redtip" Photinia, growing as a semi-hedge to screen the property next door. I'm not especially fond of this plant but it's evergreen, has decent folaige and is tough as nails, and helps give me a little bit of privacy. My yard is actually quite small, and ends about 2 feet behind the banana.

Meanwhile here's another photo, this time of a daylily. This is 'Kindly Light', a spider-flowered daylily, and I find that this kind is especially well suited to a tropical-style garden. In fact at first glance you might not even recognize it as a daylily.

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 10:47AM
northtexasgirl(z8 FTW)

Beautiful!! Loved them all. :)

Leona

Bookmark   July 9, 2005 at 12:54AM
cheerpeople

nice!
thx for sharing:)

karen

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 4:13PM
michaelzz(z6CT)

some from CT ..

pavonia .. non stp bloom all summer then in the greenhouse for winter ..

summer flower bed color

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Passionflower in Washington?
Hi guys, do any of you have experience growing passionflowers...
Brandon_the_Random
Bamboo Supplies in Utah
Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo poles, matting,...
tikigardener
Erythrina crista-galli in bloom
This one is interesting...it's a seedling of another...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
End of the season!
Winter came a little early this year! In past years...
JohnnieB
Tropical vine for part shade?
Hi all, I am looking for suggestions for a tropical...
threedogsmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™